MacCleanse vs CleanMyMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Considering buying one of these, any advise?

I've seen CleanMyMac in action and it looked quite good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
CleanMyMac is trash, do a search, you'll find lots of very negative opinions on it here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OnyX.... free, does the job, and never had any negative effects after using it, unlike both of those apps.
I don't remember what happened exactly, but one of the Macs after using MacCleanse I had to reinstall the OS, and CleanMyMac left certain 3rd party applications unusable and had to reinstall them.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
CleanMyMac is trash, do a search, you'll find lots of very negative opinions on it here.

Dunno, I quite like it, if you are careful and know what you are messing with. I wouldn't recommend it to newbies.

(jeez virge, your sig is massive!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Onyx for sure!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Anything other than OnyX is a rip off.

Agreed. Just because it's a pay-for product, doesn't mean it's somehow more effective. Very little "cleaning" is actually needed, but for what is needed, Onyx (and it's scaled-down brother "Maintenance") is more than sufficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS 10.12.6 Sierra
Cleaning Mac

Has anyone used either Cleanmymac or MacKeeper? I need to clean out my system. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well let's be fair, what Onyx does and what CleanMyMac does are a little different. You can't just blanketly say anything other than Onyx is a rip-off. You have to look at the feature set.

Now, with that being said, I still stand by the fact that CleanMyMac is garbage. Not because of what it does, some of that is actually useful, but rather because it's a poorly written app. It historically has had a tendency to cause major system problems because of buggy implementations. Removing the app has a shady history, and the support from the devs hasn't always been good.

CleanMyMac also tends to be pushed by spammers and scammers here. Any app that consistently needs spammers to talk it up should really just be avoided. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, for the record, I don't think just because something is free that it's better or that it makes it ridiculous to pay for something.

I paid for Cocktail. I like the UI better and I think the dev behind it has done a really great job over the years so I wanted to support them.

I could use CloudApp for free, but I pay because I want to support the devs.

I could use Evernote for free, but I pay to support the devs.

There are free alternatives for Twitter apps, but I choose to use Twitterrific. I prefer the UI and I love the Iconfactory so I wanted to support their work.

I could go on and on, but let's not be so judgemental about free always being better (it's just as pointless as the open-source zealots or Mac fanboys).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you pay for anything, pay for TinkerTool System. It does much of what Onyx does, but has a few tricks up its sleeve that no one else has. It's Application Uninstallation Assistant alone does a more thorough job than anything comparable (it scrubs ALL user accounts of pref files, not just the one you are logged into). It's also a much more reasonable price than CMM (which I agree… it's junk).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.