iMac dual displays problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac 3.06 i3 8GB RAM 500gb HDD
I have a 21.5inch 2010 iMac. So I have the an DVI to mini display port adapter hooked up to a DVI cable going to my external samsung monitor. I can hover the mouse over the over side and drag windows to it, however I cannot see anything on the external display. I have read some where that the 21.5inch iMacs cannot support multiple monitors. Is this true? Please help!

Thanks!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone? I am close to giving up now! So frustrating! Please help!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried everything. Is anyone actually alive in this forum?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about having a little patience? Folks who post here are volunteers not paid support personnel.

Your iMac does support connecting an external monitor. If you've used the correct MDP adapter to a DVI cable and then attached the DVI cable to your Samsung's DVI input, it should work.

Try setting up the Samsung to "mirror" rather than "extend" your desktop. See if that helps. You do that from System Preferences, Displays.

Reaction score
Dual monitors is definitely possible. I have two externals hooked up to my 21.5" iMac.

I'm not really sure what the issue might be, try messing with the settings in System Preferences. Resolution may be set too high for the monitor to display, or something..

Also make sure your external monitor is set to the right input.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I apologise for my lack of patience, it is just I am spending a small fortune trying to get this sorted out!

Still no success, might opt for the vga adapter as a last resort.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.