QMaster, Render Farm, Power share from PPC to intel Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Hi

I have a very good condition 2.2, dual core, PPC mac pro tower.

It's basically collecting dust as it is not really compatible with anything any more (I'm an editor by trader although I'd be happy for this to just do the basic jobs!)

I was wondering if it was possible to connect the PPC to my Mac Book Pro - or even a possible purchase of an Intel iMac - and share it's processor and memory power with the newer machine?

Is this possible? If so then my beautiful G5 still has use! Can't bear it sitting there doing nothing!

Any help, tips and info/advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming that you have a dual G5 tower? If it's still in good condition and working you can always network the G5 with your MacBook Pro and use it that way. As for hooking the two machines together, it's possible by using Target Disk Mode which would be a firewire to firewire connection.

See the following Apple KB article. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Assume it is actually a 2.3GHz G5 but alas PPC are finished.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Hi, sorry yes 2.3 dual GHz!!! Thanks for info! Hoepfully I can get it doing something!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.