Reebots to grey screen pic of world icon and pic of hardrive with x??

Reaction score
I have a Max OSX 10.4.11 PC G5 running on Firefox. It runs fine.

But I rebooted it the other day and it went to a grey screen with a a blue world in a box in the centre. I went online to my other computer and found out I was told to push option the next time I restart it.

I did this and it went to a half circle turn pic in a box on the middle left side of the screen and then a pic of a hardrive with an x next to it in the middle and to the right of that a arrow pointing right. I clicked the all of them because nothing was happening but then it went and loaded up fine.

THe thing is evrytime I restart my computer it does this.

I want to know why this is happening.

And why is there an x next to that hardrive pic?

Im worried.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you are booted into OSX, Open System Preferences. Then click on Startup Disk, then on the Hard Drive (Probably Mac OSX). Then click on Restart.

That Globe you are seeing is Network Boot. Somehow it got into trying to default boot from a network instead of the Hard Drive.

OP
rena
Reaction score
Yaaaaaaaay!

It worked. I was SOO scared that my hardrive was going because of that x.

Im in love with my mac again. Thanks so much!:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad to help and that your Mac is back to normal once again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.