Snow Leopard Fresh Install ?

Reaction score
Have a corrupt 10.4.11 installation on a MacBook Core 2 duo with 2 GB. Computer will not boot into it's old OS. Trying to install Snow Leopard from the CD - without success. Installation process either ejects the CD or runs for hours without progress.

I would like to format the drive, but I'm unaware as to how to do this without being able to boot into Tiger.

Any suggestions??

As always, Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions,

JA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is this a retail version of Snow Leopard, or did you get the disc from a friend?

OP
J
Reaction score
6string (steel?)

Bought it today, 29.95 plus tax at the apple store ...

Thanks for your reply!

JA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Ok, insert the disc and immediately shut it down.

-Restart the computer and hold the 'C' key down as soon as you hear the chime until you see the spinning gear.

-Select language and click continue.

-Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar (this takes a few seconds to appear).

-Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.

-Click erase tab.

-Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).

-Name Macintosh HD.

-Click erase.

-Quit disk utility menu, and continue with installation.

OP
J
Reaction score
6string:

I had to shut the machine down from some interminable process and then restarted and

chime
c down
apple logo appears
spinning gear appears
release c

I'm waiting ....

I'll repost as soon as something happens

thank you for your reply!

JA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It takes a minute or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A seagull (hand made Canadian guitar). Has served me well for many years, and plays and sounds nicer than any Taylor or Martin I've played.

As for the nada, I would try again, this time the same procedure, except holding option instead of C.

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, trying again with Option key ... plenty of disk (CD) activity but nothing to show for it

JA

OP
J
Reaction score
OK

Option key ejected CD

tried Option key again, and now i'm presented with a CD emblem that's entitled "MAC OS X install DVD" and below that an upward pointing arrow. I'm unsure as to how to proceed.

I was here earlier today and I tried clicking on the arrow, clicking on the CD emblem, and hitting enter, all of which resulted in the spinning gear going on for ever and ever.

any tricks to try here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, try resetting PRAM and try again.
Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

If this doesn't fix it, I would get your original install disc and try.
If it doesn't work with your original disc, I would be suspecting that you may have a faulty Optical Drive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try clicking on the arrow under the OSX Install DVD? That should work. I see you said you did, but it should boot from the DVD.

OP
J
Reaction score
6string and dtravis7

first of all, thanks for your interest!

I clicked on the arrow, and am waiting and looking at the spinning gear ...

(while I look follow 6string's link about reseting my PRAM (programmable read only memory?)

JA

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How long have you let it set at the spinning gear? It might take a few minutes. If it still does not go in, I am wondering if there is an issue with the optical drive on the Macbook.

OP
J
Reaction score
ten to fifteen minutes each time. plenty of time for something to occur

the process linked to by 6 string says to locate four keys, command, option, p and r ...

can't find the command key!

any clues?

as always, many thanks to you guys for your interest and help!

JA

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Command is right between the Left side of the Spacebar and Option Key. It used to be called the Apple Key in past times. You boot with Command+Option+P+R all held down after the startup sound and keep them down till you hear at least 2 more startup sounds.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take a look at the 10.6 DVD. Be sure (even though it's new) it's not scratched or has any fingerprints.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dennis... glad to see you back and check your inbox mate :)

jda8818, also, did you try the original instal disc?

If no joy there, I would be heading for a remote install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.