MacBook Pro Failure Rates

Reaction score
I am taking and impromptu poll. I have had two Macbook Pros now breakdown on me, compared to 5 PC systems/laptops that have never as much as blue screened on me. I was wondering if this was the same for any other users out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I'm probably gonna be slammed for saying this but I think that bad luck really was on your side with them :(

- Simon

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Considering that millions of Macs are being sold every month, I'd say you're not alone whether anyone else responds here in the positive or not.

Odds man, odds.

I'd also place a wager there are quite a few more with just the opposite experience.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Everyone I have met with a Mac have been happy with it, and havent had to take it back. i think you got unlucky.

you never mentioned how they broke down on you.

To me, this could be

a) a machine fault

b) a user fault

most of the time, its the latter that "breaks" laptops ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If there was never a faulty laptop from Apple then there wouldn't be a refurb store ;)

- Simon

OP
E
Reaction score
Cannot Allocate Memory Error

I am bringing this over from another post on how the MacBook Pro broke down and how this error seems to befuddle anyone who is asked what exactly it means.

Monday night I used my Macbook Pro as usual without incident and closed the lid and it went to sleep. Tuesday I did what I had to do all day with the MacBook and everything was working fine, no issues whatsoever. I closed the lid again when i finished what I had to do and left it alone. Later that evening I went back to use the laptop, opened up the shell and it woke up as normal. I launched firefox and then the spinning wheel kept going and going and then stopped spinning all together, total freeze job.

After a forced shutdown and reboot the laptop white screened for about 3 minutes then when into the apple icon screen with the spinning wheel. I left it alone and after an hour, the wheel was still spinning and the laptop had not booted.

I rebooted this time with the installation CD - Snow Leopard - and booted through the CD drive. When the installation screen came up I went to the disk utility app and looked at the hard drive. The utility could see the hard drive but could not mount it. Figuring the drive/install went bad somewhere along the line (keep in mind that I had been using the laptop for 3 months since purchase without incident. I purchased it at BestBuy, open box item that I have come to find out was a trade-in of some sort because it was previously owned - mid 2009 13 inch macbook pro) I decided to go ahead and reformat since everything is always backed up.

DU was able to erase the partition, but when I went to create a new one, it gave me the "Cannot Allocate Memory" failure notice. I tried a couple more times, reboot, tried again, nothing doing. I then pulled the drive out of the macbook and connected it to another machine. I was able to create the partition using another mac and then reinstalled the drive into the macbook. when I went to install, it got half way done and then game me an error that prevented it from finishing the install.

Just to cover all bases, I purchased another hard drive and installed it with the same error message. Finally I took it in to the genius bar where the "genius" was perplexed by the error and went on the try and convince me that the drive was bad.

I can deduce a few things.
1. Same failure occurred on two different drives
2. When mac genius connected firewire 800 drive, it was not read by the macbook
3. I was able to access and format drive on another mac
4. Therefore, the drives are good and something else is going on.

It is in the shop now and don't know much about mac architecture - I am quite proficient at PC having created a few of my own systems - so I don't know if this is a product of bad drivers on the mother/logic board etc. If so, I know that there are ways to tweak these settings in PCs by accessing the BIOS, but I have read that it is not possible, at least for a laymen like myself, to do such things on a mac.

A few other notes before I get to the question. during the network boot and diagnostic that the genius performed on the mac, it passed all of the tests. It is with the techs now and I don't know what they are going to find.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macs use an EFI interface, not a BIOS, so yeah its not possible to tweak this way.

its a very weird problem, as a stab in the dark, i would say either an issue with the motherboard or the ribbon connection to the hard drive.

this is exactly the kind of thing that puts me off "out of box/refurb" computers, i always try to buy new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bad logic board would be my guess, but i'm sure the tech guys will have a better clue having it in their hands.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This is a silly thread!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
I kind of have the same issue to. My original Macbook Pro didnt seem to go in standby correctly and it started burning the screen. Also it would crash constantly. I thought it was a hardware problem. After replacing the hard drive and reinstalling everything it seems to be running fine. My other one on the other hand is not doing so well. The video/screen is all messed up. I love Mac's and I am an Apple Fan Boy. I hope I am not making a mistake with the Mac's. Because what else would I use? I stopped using Windows a couple years back because it was horrible. I hate the PC platform. I do use linux on my netbook for hacking (testing security) though.

Reaction score
i just got a Macbook Pro 3 days ago.....new user from Windows, hope everything goes well for me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just got a Macbook Pro 3 days ago.....new user from Windows, hope everything goes well for me...

Fingers crossed ;)

- Simon

P.S Welcome to Mac-Forums :)

dic

Reaction score
Macbook Pro Failures

I am taking and impromptu poll. I have had two Macbook Pros now breakdown on me, compared to 5 PC systems/laptops that have never as much as blue screened on me. I was wondering if this was the same for any other users out there?

3/12/2010 Purchased Macbook Pro,
5/10/2010 mechanical failure, new hard drive installed
11/17/2010 mechanical failure, new hard drive installed
1/5/2011 mechanical failure, new hard drive installed
1/14/2011 mechanical failure, new computer issued
1/22/2011 mechanical failure, new computer issued
2/15/2011 mechanical failure, new computer issued
4/18/2011 mechanical failure, computer dead

No, you're not the only one.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

have you been inflicted with some strange voodoo curse? you are extremely unlucky!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

have you been inflicted with some strange voodoo curse? you are extremely unlucky!

LOL .....I'd stop walking under ladders if I were you.

Reaction score

man you are scaring me :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
man you are scaring me :(

Don't let people's bad luck scare you.....
Majority of users have no issues!

I had a lot of bad luck with 2010 model Macbook Pros (3 dodgy ones). Luckily, Apple looked after me, and my 4th one was flawless.
I am also using my old 2007 Macbook, never had a problem.
Early last year, I spilt beer on it, which by all rights should have killed it, and may show problems in the future, however, after I replaced the keyboard, RAM and HD, it is working flawlessly.

Enjoy your new Mac, and keep in mind that majority of the millions of users having no problems don't get on line to Forums such as this to inform everyone how well their Macs are performing.

Reaction score
Had my MBP over a month - no problems to report, except that I'm now in love with it :)

Wheelguy - Who's wishing he could use a Mac at work too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.