• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

??? iMovie and external firewire drives ????

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to import some home movies from my camcorder into imovie and then burn them to an external DVD.

Problem is I have a laptop that is almost full. I want to have the clips imported to my external hard drive and work in iMovie off my external hard drive. How do I do it?? is there a way to change the directory where the clips are saved?

Hardware I'm using: powerbook 667, sony double layer DRU-800A in firewire enclosure, 260 Gigabyte external firwire hard drive, Panasonic PV-DV203 camcorder.

Seperate extra video question: I also have our wedding tape on VHS, that I would ultimately like to transfer to DVD. Is there a way to do this without buying an expensive video bridge? My VCR has S-Video, composite and RCA's out.

Thanks!!

S

sursuciofla

dflint said:
Hi,
I'm trying to import some home movies from my camcorder into imovie and then burn them to an external DVD.

Problem is I have a laptop that is almost full. I want to have the clips imported to my external hard drive and work in iMovie off my external hard drive. How do I do it?? is there a way to change the directory where the clips are saved?

Hardware I'm using: powerbook 667, sony double layer DRU-800A in firewire enclosure, 260 Gigabyte external firwire hard drive, Panasonic PV-DV203 camcorder.

Seperate extra video question: I also have our wedding tape on VHS, that I would ultimately like to transfer to DVD. Is there a way to do this without buying an expensive video bridge? My VCR has S-Video, composite and RCA's out.

Thanks!!

Just take your movie project out of the Movies folder (usually the default area) and drag it to your external drive. You can also use finder to find the movie files as well. After you do that you can open it up from external and it should save all work done there after to the FW hard drive. You should be able to hook up your writer thorugh the firewire drive and burn it through there if you have an extra port.

For your wedding video if your cam has AV in/out then hook that up to the camera then hook it up to your vcr av in/out in the back. Then your mini DV cam should have a DV firewire input, if so hook that up and then hook the other firewire end into your computer. Set your cam to VCR or VTR then hit import in iMovie and play on your vcr and the footage should record to your hard drive. The camera becomes your bridge to move the footage.

Sorry if this totally confuses you but I am better at showing people first-hand rather than trying to instruct with words. I have had to do this before and it is very simple it's just tougher to explain like this.

If you want just PM me through my messenger if you use yahoo which is in my profile. I would be happy to guide you through the process since I have my stuff hooked up at the moment from my last project.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for the reply.
I have tried what you suggested for the imovie clips, but unfortunately it copies the clip back to my laptops HD when I try to edit it. Then I end up with two copies of the movie clip. I guess there is no way to change the movie clip directory.... that was pretty short sited on apples part, considering the size of digital video files. I copies the clips in the user/movies/folder.

I thought of what you suggested by using the camcorder as the bridge, unfortunately my camcorder only has a s-video out.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Open up your video clip in iMovie as you normally do. The under the file menu so a save as. Then select the external disk a the target to save your data. The next time you open up that video, it should be pointing to the external disk.

If you create a new movie project, just point it to your external disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
All of this is so easy on Final Cut.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.