Rerouting iTunes to Another Account on Same iMac

Reaction score
I have an iMac running 10.6.7 (2.8 GHZ Intel Core Duo) that has three accounts on it: my wife, my son's and mine. My account is where the iTunes master library is found, although the music is actually stored on a 2TB LaCie external hard drive.

Over the last few months, my son has begun building his own iTunes library that, I fear, is eating up precious iMac hard drive space. What I'd like to do is simply reroute the master iTunes library from my account to his account.

Can someone walk me through how I'd do that without completely messing things up? My sense is that I'd first need to completely delete whatever my son has on his iTunes, but maybe there's also a way to remove dupes?

Thank you.

Best,

FD

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure someone else will jump in here with some better suggestions, but you might want to look at iTunes Home Sharing instead of your idea.

Take a look at this Apple KB article describing Home Sharing. LINK

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
iTunes home Sharing wont make any difference if you want to save internal hard drive space however. what i would do is move the music his account onto the hard drive (but not in the itunes media folder, just on the root of that drive) then delete his library from the computer, then set the external's media folder as the library source in his new library. then reimport all his music (making sure that consolidate files is turned on in itunes preferences.) this should make a copy of the music inside "itunes media" on your external drive, then you can delete the ones at the root.

hopefully that makes sense, i got quite confused myself writing it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
hopefully that makes sense, i got quite confused myself writing it.
LOL :) Must be that new avatar. ;D

OP
F
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been traveling and off the grid. Thank you all for the help. Going to give this a go and will report back.

Best,

FD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.