3D network display

Reaction score
I need an odd little piece of software that I'm certain is somewhere out there, but I can't figure out the right search terms to find it. I have a nice 2D graph showing a bunch of labeled circles connected by arrows. Computer scientists call it a "directed graph". It's just circles and arrows. However, it has grown so big and complicated that I'd like to shift to a 3D display, in which I can reposition spheres and add one-way links between them, and add new spheres. I have seen such displays before (there's one that shows the connections between any one website and all that link to it), and I know that they're simple to program, so I'm sure that there's a program out there for doing it. Can anybody direct me to such a program? Failing that, could somebody educate me as to the terminology used to describe such a program -- I could use such terms to find something.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't have a clue, but I'd try searching for 'Mac 3D graph software'.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks

I have carried out searches using a number of variations on the phrasing you suggest, and I get buried in long lists of general-purpose graphing programs. Most of these are meant to address a long list of requirements; most are for producing 3D images of various mathematical functions. The best basic data-graphing programs are built into spreadsheets like Excel and Numbers -- but neither of these allows me to do what I need to do.

I fear that I'll just have to stick with a 2D plot and use colors to indicate depth. Sorta like a multilayer PC board.

Thanks again.

OP
U
Reaction score
Wow!

Thanks! This appears to be EXACTLY what I need! I'm still just poking around with it, but it looks great. Thanks much!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Thanks! This appears to be EXACTLY what I need! I'm still just poking around with it, but it looks great. Thanks much!

You're welcome. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.