IMac questions

Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking of buying an IMac after using Windows for all my life.
It's a bit scary

I have a few questions and would love to hear from anyone out there

1. Can you get a keyboard that is different and attach to the iMac? The reason here is I think the flat key board that comes with it will not be so easy to do touch-typing. I like a keyboard with a bit of play and depth. So could I buy just a regular keyboard and hook it up to one of the USB ports? Or does Apple have a regular keyboard option? (rather than the flat key option)

2. Is there a CD drive? I have reviewed all the technical specifications and user manuals but did not see any reference or evidence that there is a CD slot on the machine.

3. All of my doc files are with Word. Can all these be open and updated on the Mac version (iwork?)? If I share a document with someone, do I need to re-convert it back to Word?

4. I know absolutely nothing about Finder, etc. Is there a simple guide for really dumb people (like me) to find my way around?

Thanks for any information you can share
Kind regards,

Billy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12GB of RAM, 27", dual core
1. yes, not just any keyboard, but many bluetooth keyboards are compatible, and apple has other options
2. yes, right side of the monitor
3. yes but some of them may not open properly... you could just get office for mac...
4. yes... this forum has plenty of useful noob info. just look for the "stickies" at the top of each sub forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh Aspire One, Mac Mini G4, Mac Classic 2
Any USB Keyboard. I use a Cherry keyboard on the Mac Mini.
If you are using a non-US keyboard, you need to set the preference in the control panel to your internationalisation (eg. English/GB), as Macs assume US keyboards.

CD / DVD writer is included as a slot drive.

Office for Mac will open Office documents, as will LibreOffice.

Using a Mac is probably easier than a Windows PC. And if you need Windows you can always use bootcamp!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" LED iMac
If you are using a non-US keyboard, you need to set the preference in the control panel to your internationalisation (eg. English/GB), as Macs assume US keyboards.

Using a Mac is probably easier than a Windows PC. And if you need Windows you can always use bootcamp!

Agree 100% here

I was a windows user for 15years until my gf bought me my first imac 27.

Bootcamp is amazingly handy. So you still techniqually have a windows and a mac machine, but all on one computer! Bootcamp comes with your imac on CD also it installs all your drivers etc automatically so its perfect for newbies (like myself).

I will +1 Microsoft office for MAC. It looks better than the windows version too!

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12GB of RAM, 27", dual core

wow... this is exactly what i said, weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh Aspire One, Mac Mini G4, Mac Classic 2
wow... this is exactly what i said, weird.

- I provided a real-world example of a non-Apple keyboard plugged into Apple hardware. I also made the point that non-US keyboards, certainly for English language models, may need the internationalisation set, otherwise the @ and the " will be transposed.

- I mentioned a DVD writer just to clarify (though no Bluray as yet)

- I mentioned LibreOffice as a useful free open source office package for opening and editing MS Office packages

- I mentioned Bootcamp to help the transition to OSX go a bit smoother (assuming Windows licence can be transferred, and assuming setting up VMs would be outside of the user's comfort zone)

So you may wish to invest some time in some text comparison tools, "NashVegasMatt". There are set answers to migrations but a little elaboration does no harm :Not-Amused:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have been trying hard to find an excellent article posted before highlighting all you need to know. I shall keep trying because I've seen it.

In the meantime, the following links take to to FAQs and sites where this very matter is discussed and where you may find many of your questions (present & future) answered.

PC to Mac Advice - CNET Mac laptops Forums

Changing from PC to Mac but need advice! - AVForums.com

Advice for a PC to Mac Switcher - Blog - Beeztech

The CAFE » Newbies Here » Changing from PC to MAC.......advice.

Good luck. You will never regret changing to a Mac.

Ian

Reaction score
Re: Alternate Keyboard for iMac

Can you get a keyboard that is different and attach to the iMac? The reason here is I think the flat key board that comes with it will not be so easy to do touch-typing. I like a keyboard with a bit of play and depth. So could I buy just a regular keyboard and hook it up to one of the USB ports? Or does Apple have a regular keyboard option? (rather than the flat key option)
Hello Billy :)

Personally, if you're after a keyboard with more "traditional" keys, I'd suggest this one:

Apple Pro Keyboard 109 Keys White A1048 M9034 (Please note; I'm not specifically endorsing this particular vendor - which I've never had any dealings with - it was just the first listing of the model I'm talking about that I came across!)

As you can see it's got "normal" keys, and where it's still a proper Apple Mac keyboard (the model immediately previous to the current slim-line aluminum version), rather than a generic (i.e. designed for Windows) keyboard all the keys will be matched to the Mac layout & do exactly what you expect of them.

(Windows Key = Command Key is easy enough to remember, but the Backspace, Print-Screen, Delete, and Number-Lock keys on some Windows keyboards can map over to the Mac layout in odd ways & do some pretty strange things that you really don't need to be dealing with!)

Good luck & happy computing :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
1: almost any keyboard will work including windows ones. doesnt have to be a bluetooth one.

2. yes.

3. Office for Mac can read them, iWork can read most of them, Text Edit can read any, but without any formatting.

4. the Finder is very obvious and simple. its windows explorer, but laid out different.

Guide:

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596153298

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Recent switcheR here. All of the above responses are very helpful. There is a free option to your Document concerns that wasn't mentioned. Openoffice will open MS word files and save that way as well. You just pick the type of file you want it to save as. I have iWork and honestly have not used it at all. I continue to use oppenoffice for spreadsheets and creating documents. Eventually I will have to use keynote for presentations, and that is found in iWork.

As for the finder concerns, think of it as the search option found under My Computer on windows. But better and easier. It finds things that you can't remember where they are basically. And help you stay organized.

On apple.com there are tutorials available on everything you have questions about. There are links on the homepage at the bottom that say New to Mac, they are a great help to newbie questions (like the kind instill have haha).

Reaction score
There is a free option to your Document concerns that wasn't mentioned. Openoffice will open MS word files and save that way as well. You just pick the type of file you want it to save as. I have iWork and honestly have not used it at all. I continue to use oppenoffice for spreadsheets and creating documents. Eventually I will have to use keynote for presentations, and that is found in iWork.
The issue of productivity suites was also recently addressed in this thread, with considerations of price & usability.

Maybe it could be useful to the OP...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.