• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Unveils Final Cut Pro X

Reaction score
As suspected, Apple has broken out the new Final Cut Pro separately from the Studio. The app will be available for just $299 via the Mac App Store in June. There was no mention of Final Cut Express or the rest of the Final Cut Studio.

The "rebuilt from ground up" video editing suite -- which now shares a similar look and feel with iMovie -- will be shipped with 64-bit support to finally make use of more than 4GB of RAM, as well as handling 4K clips on 8-core editing rigs

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with other editing suites. I'm thinking this price point will be fairly attractive to current iMovie users. In other NAB news, Avid is offering a $995 Media Composer 5.5 deal for FCP users (over 60% off), while Adobe has released CS5.5 with some great new updates.

Apple announces Final Cut Pro X, rebuilt from ground up with 64-bit support (update: $299 in June) -- Engadget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Best thing since sliced bread? I don't know...can you use it to make a delicious sandwich? Didn't think so...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple previews new $299 64-bit Final Cut Pro X to arrive in June
AppleInsider | Apple previews new $299 64-bit Final Cut Pro X to arrive in June
Apple on Tuesday took the wraps off a revolutionary 64-bit upgrade to Final Cut Pro, dubbed version X, which will arrive on the Mac App Store in June for just $299.
A nice article about the FCPX unveiling.

More notes.
FCPX is limited to 8 cores max.
The is no Express anymore. It is just FCPX or imovie.
Nothing yet has been said about the other apps in the FC Suite. Most people tend to think a lot of that functionality will be in FCPX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Anybody know the system requirements for FCP X...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I'm curious. Does that mean that things like LiveType will not be there? It says there is no suite. So can you do all of those things INSIDE of FCPX or do they just not exist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
So can you do all of those things INSIDE of FCPX or do they just not exist?
That is the question everyone is asking. We do know Apple likes selling the individual spps on the App store and not the bundles. So we'll have to wait to see exactly what of these features is in FCPX. And what if any is in separate apps.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Who would really buy something worth $299 off the app store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Who would really buy something worth $299 off the app store?

If it was something that I wanted and I thought I could use, I would. If it is worth 299, then regardless if its in store on in the app store, it's still the same program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
For that price, I'd MUCH rather have some sort of tangible item, not just a download of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
That's a very odd way of thinking isn't it?

The thing your paying for is 100% intangible (unless the cd its printed on is worth more than a buck).

As long as you purchased it legally and have a copy of your activation code I'm sure you could get a replacement download if you needed it, like if your system crashed or something.

At least, that's how adobe works (I'm not a FCP guy). Adobe lets anybody who wants to download their full programs anytime they want. The activation key is what your paying for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For that price, I'd MUCH rather have some sort of tangible item, not just a download of it.
Well considering the FCP Suite is $999. $299 is a steal for FCPX. The adobe or Avid equivalents are much more expensive. The $299 piecemeal price point just ensures that indie movie makers on a budget and prosumers have the option to have the pro software at their fingertips. So Apple can have the pro and prosumer market covered with this product. And for everyone else there is imovie. Yes people whinge about imovie. But it is surprisingly good for basic home movie edits.

And about your on disc issue. This software is directed at professionals as we know. And they would have things backed up the wazoo so many backups just to protect their data. And I'm sure they'd back their important apps in the same way. So yeah having it on disc if you think of it that way is not too important. You can always burn it to disc if you feel the need.

So is a disc needed? No. But it would be nice along with the printed documentation. But making the packaging and shipping it round the world would up the price of the product.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

exactly my point. if my hard drive fails, and i cannot connect to my home network (it is extremely unreliable for downloads, due to Sky's peak caps) then downloading what I assume would be a huge file such as FCPX (must be in the region of at least 6-10GB) would be a complete no go. with the physical product, I have no strain on my connection, just pop the disc in and away you go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see the point in having this on disc for the download. For some people downloading 4GB-10GB is not a trivial matter at all. They have issues with it. That's why I'm all for being able to download App store apps at the Apple store. And they just burn the software to disc or USB stick for a small additional charge. Like $5. That'd fix the issue. And if you somehow lost your copy of the software, you could get it re-downloaded for just the $5 fee. Cause you already bought the software. And would be logged into your itunes account when you purchased it.

I know not everyone has access to an Apple store. But that would help a lot of people with that issue. Apple really needs to address this sort of issue.

Here is a nice rather detailed blog about the FCPX preview.

The Sound of 1,700 Jaws Dropping
The Sound of 1,700 Jaws Dropping – Larry’s Blog

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.