voice audio recording for newbie

Reaction score
I am new to mac and macbook pro. also new to on line forum procedures. where and how do i get someone to tell me how to record voice audio on my macbook pro and play it back on my laptop?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
all you need to do is open up garageband, create a new audio track, select the internal mic as input source, then hit record. :)

OP
V
Reaction score
thank you for that information. I did not even know how or where to select internal mic but fumbled through it. (Intuition is not a one size fits all proposition.)

Reaction score
Robduckyworth:

Related to your kind reply above is this question:

1) How and where to does one save items being played in GB? My Activity Monitor shows that I am using up real estate and I need to delete much music recorded to regain space on the internal HDD as well as the external drive.

2) How can I record classics I find in "iTunes-Radio-Classics etc.," while they're playing on good quality speakers connected to the iMac? Want to include some melodies in my little family slideshows for the family.

Thanks,

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Garageband by default saves projects in your User folder under "Music". It should save the project, as well as any audio files in a project folder.

what do you mean by record, does this mean you want to record streaming audio, or import them into a garageband project?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was told i could also save by exporting to itunes

that would technically be a "bounce", where you are saving the stereo output as a single file (usually an mp3/m4a), not a multitrack project for editing later.

C

chas_m

Hi Vetmuseum! I think maybe we should start over.

There are several easy ways to record your own voice using the built-in mic on your Mac. Personally, I just open up QuickTime X, choose "new audio recording" from the File menu and away I go.

Garageband is a more powerful option, but may not be needed for what you want to do.

As for recording incoming streaming audio, the easiest thing I've found is Audio Hijack Pro ($32) from Rogue Amoeba. One of the best investments I ever made in software. They also sell a nifty little (basic) editor called Fission for another $32, though I prefer the $40 Amadeus Pro and others round here prefer the ugly-and-buggy-but-free Audacity.

I don't intend to knock Garageband at all -- it's great, particularly for serious voice work -- but it might be overkill from what you've described. I'm all about the lazy -- I mean, EASY -- way to do stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.