Trouble printing to Epson Stylus CX8400

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro, i5 2.3ghz, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD
I'm a recent switcher to macs so printer setup is a new adventure for me. I have an Epson Stylus CX8400 wired to my Mac Mini via USB and when I print a file I get infinite blank pages or else nonsense text pages until I turn the printer off and delete the print queue. I got the same result when I previously printed via USB hooked into my Time Capsule. I thought it was the Time Capsule at first so I tried a direct connection to the mac. Can someone with some experience with printer setup speak to my problem? It prints fine from an HP laptop (if a little dark, hence my acute interest in seeing results from the mac). Forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place or if I'm asking a question already discussed elsewhere. Please direct me to said discussion if so.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you go out to Epson's website and get their latest Mac driver?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did, and ran the install. It's unclear to me what is supposed to happen at that point. It seemed to install but nothing changed. If OSX manages how it's installed then that's not it. If I have to manage it, install it in a certain place and/or make other changes, that's where the expertise of others would be of great help. I just let it install.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did, and ran the install. It's unclear to me what is supposed to happen at that point. It seemed to install but nothing changed. If OSX manages how it's installed then that's not it. If I have to manage it, install it in a certain place and/or make other changes, that's where the expertise of others would be of great help. I just let it install.

So the driver is now loaded. I would start with the printer not connected to the computer. Now, check in System Preferences => Print & Fax. Make sure there is no entry for the printer in the left pane. If there is, click to select it and then click the '-' button to remove it.

Now, plug the printer back in and it should pop up and be using the latest driver. If that's true, it should work perfectly - if it does not, we need to dig a little deeper.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll be. That indeed did it. The printer dock icon is now the Epson rather than the generic printer. Sorry for the newb question, hopefully this resolves it for good. Thank you, my membership here is already proven to be worth my time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice. Glad to hear it's working for you.

Also, on the plus side, it should now work perfectly with your Time Capsule too.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed! It does work through the Time Capsule now. But I did have to do the same process over again- unplug the printer, delete the printer from System Preferences, then plug it back in and re-add it and let the system find it. The Windows laptop wirelessly prints to it now as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.