External Superdrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
So will any firewire dvd burner be recognized by a newer mac, so I can use it with iDVD, DVD studio pro, and the system? Or do I have to get a lacie, or one that says mac compatible?

S

sursuciofla

validpretense said:
So will any firewire dvd burner be recognized by a newer mac, so I can use it with iDVD, DVD studio pro, and the system? Or do I have to get a lacie, or one that says mac compatible?

I have been told any of them should work with it. Go to a place like Best Buy (I hate plugging for them because of their employees big heads now, don't go in there needing help because you will never be able to find one of those sales people). Anyways go to a place like that because if it doesn't work you can always return it for a refund or exchange.

I just stuck with Lacie btw, that's what I use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
To be on the safe side, I would make sure that it says Mac compatible on the box before your buy it. True, most all external drives would/should work without a problem, it would be wiser to just get one that says it will work. That way, it saves you headaches if if doesn't work, and saves you a trip back to the store to return/exchange it.

OP
validpretense
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
Reaction score
You might need a program called PatchBurn so the burner will work in Apple apps.

I used a Sony 16x DL External Burner with my mini, no problems. I think it was only $100 after rebates, I have seen then on sale a bunch since then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.