Degrading FPS problem

Reaction score
My primary use of my MBP is for gaming, usually I play WoW. I previously had:

17" MBP 2010 model
2.93GHZ
4GB Ram

About 6 months ago or so I noticed that while playing my framerate(fps)would slowly degrade from around 40fps down to as low as 5fps at which point I was unable to play due to the choppiness of the video. I discovered that if I reloaded the UI (/reload) that the fps would reset back to 40fps but would continually degrade overtime down to 5fps. Not knowing what was causing the sudden issue(as I never had problems in the past)I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it, hoping it would solve the issue, which it did not. I confirmed my drivers; particularly my graphics drivers, were all up to date, but the problem continued. I assumed that perhaps my graphics card was failing so, since I was due to upgrade my MBP to the new model anyways, sold my old computer and currently have:

2011 15" MBP i7
8GB RAM
250GB SSD
Integrated Intel chip - standard from Apple

Yesterday I reinstalled my WoW software onto my new computer, went through all of the updates, etc, and to my disdain, the degrading FPS issue is still there :(. I am at wit's end as to how the problem remains. Is there some preference file for WoW that I may not have deleted that could be corrupt and causing this issue? I noticed that when I reinstalled WoW that my in-game preference remained the same, suggesting to me that not everything on the computer regarding WoW had been a fresh install.

The only other issue I can think of is my internet connection which is horribly slow. I'm running at approximately 300kbps download speed and 70kbps upload speed, I don't know what my ping is. Nonetheless my internet is bad, but it's never caused this issue in the past, until a few months ago that is. Could this issue be cause by my internet?

I am aware that the release of Cataclysm is more taxing on computers so perhaps my internet connection is no longer sufficient? Regardless my computer should have absolutely NO issues running WoW but I'm running out of ideas as to what would be causing this.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You shouldn't have had the problem on your old machine since it was fully capable of running WoW at a decent frame rate. The same problem on your newer and more powerful machine indicates to me that there may be a problem with your connection.

Plus the fact that you stated everything was running good and this suddenly happened. Your ISP might be stifling the band width. It may be worthwhile to call them and find out what's going on. But be aware that some ISPs will blame it on your Mac and not be willing to admit they're choking off bandwidth. I had the same problem with an ISP here in Fort Worth. The solution was to fire them and get another ISP.

OP
N
Reaction score
Could the bad band width actually cause fps degradation from 60fps down to 5fps in 15 minutes? That's where my confusion lies, if I had a steady low fps I could see it being my band width, but because it starts high and goes low, I question if it is a corrupt file.

Also my neighbor who is on the same internet and also has a MBP has no issues playing WoW, his fps is steady.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your neighbor is getting good results with his machine, then the bandwidth is not the problem.

I assume when you purchased your new MBP that you did a migration from the old one to the new one? If so, you may have inherited whatever was corrupt from the original install of WoW. What I suggest is to completely uninstall WoW - all configuration files and other hooks it puts in the system.

You may have a hard time finding everything as Spotlight does not do very well at searching for such things like buried sub folders and hidden files. If possible, go to the WoW site and look for specific instructions on a complete uninstall. After you've done that, try reinstalling fresh.

Also, get rid of unnecessary login items and startup programs that you can do without.

Which browser are you using? Safari is fast but it also leaks memory so you may want to try another browser such as the new FireFox.

OP
N
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Chscag, wondering if I brought over some kind of corrupt file when I restored the backup of my old machine to this new one via Time Capsule. I've researched how to do a complete uninstall of WoW and will give this a try in May. I have a download cap and it won't renew until May 3rd. So you won't hear back from me until then :( Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.