Excel on Ipad

Reaction score
Hey guys
I already have a MBP but my wife is needing a computer to do some spreadsheet work for a local law firm. There is no other need for a computer outside of doing these excel spreadsheets... so I'd rather get an Ipad than another Macbook or Air for her. I have read about "documents to go" and it seems thats the go to for Excel work on the ipad... just wanted some more input from forum members on if this is a huge mistake... should I just go with a used Macbook for her?

Reaction score
There are iPad apps that will allow you to create, view, and modify Excel spreadsheets on an iPad, including:

OfficeSquared/DocSquared $6/$4
Byte Squared

Docs to Go/Premium $10/$15
Documents To Go for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch

QuickOffice $10
Quickoffice » Home
Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

But each of these only offer a bare subset of the features of Excel on the Macintosh. In addition, creating spreadsheets without a physical keyboard can become really tedious.

I think that she would find a MacBook to be much more satisfactory.

Oh, and if your wife would like feedback from other Mac and iPad using attorneys, she might want to join this e-mail discussion list:

Macs In Law Offices (MILO)
http://groups.google.com/group/milogroup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You didn't say if your wife uses Windows or has always used a Mac.

My wife is a heavy Excel user as well. With the release of Office 2011 - a lot of her complaints went away - but there are still subtle differences that bug her - i.e. the way Excel works on Windows vs on Mac. Again they are subtle but if your wife is coming from Windows it may bug her too. Stuff like hotkeys and context menus work slightly differently and seem to take more key presses/mouse movements on the Mac. This is power user type stuff so it may not apply.

That being said - you can't find something as sexy in the PC world as a Macbook Air - that will last as long either. Her's is 3 years old and even with some manhandling from my 3 year old son it still works. (Albiet he knocked some cable loose when he bent the screen in the wrong direction. Still works but every now and then you get some display weirdness)

I bought Numbers, and Docs to Go Premium - but my wife peeked at them and they weren't up to snuff for her usage. I've messed with numbers and it does have a lot of functionality but it isn't as easy to use as the desktop version.
Apple - iPad - Innovative spreadsheets in just a few taps.

I am going to agree with Randy - you probably want a full blown computer - and if your Wife doesn't mind the little differences a Mac would be fine.

Reaction score
I'm a national sales manager and all I do is deal with spread sheets everyday. Before my I pad 2 I had to take my MBP WITH ME EVERYWHERE. I purchased numbers and so far it has been great. I have read about many people having issues with cells and formulas changing when the excel sheet is opened on a different machine running an O/S. I have not had any complaints or any probes with that personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I'm a national sales manager and all I do is deal with spread sheets everyday. Before my I pad 2 I had to take my MBP WITH ME EVERYWHERE. I purchased numbers and so far it has been great. I have read about many people having issues with cells and formulas changing when the excel sheet is opened on a different machine running an O/S. I have not had any complaints or any probes with that personally.

My husband is having the same issues. He does have a MBP, but would like to use his iPad to imput nightly figures and have the two machines sync with each other. Tommy, do you have any experience with the syncing issues??

Reaction score
Class77,

What do you mean as far as syncing? Are you referring to syncing the spreadsheets back and forth between the I pad and the MBP? If so, how is your husband syncing the spread sheets between his computer and I pad? There are several ways this can be done so a little clarification as to what he is currently doing would help me out. Also, Im assuming he is using numbers. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Tommy

OP
J
Reaction score
she already has a spreadsheet created that she uses with my macbook pro... but i hate buying another macbook when i could get an ipad for vacations. she only works 2 days a week and only uses a pre-created spreadsheet. i know a macbook would be easier but man if i could get it to work on an ipad that would be awesome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What is in the spreadsheet? Your best bet is to find someone you know with an iPad and try it out on one of the programs mentioned (numbers, quick office, docs to go, etc) but if there is any kind of macro/complexity to the spreadsheet I would say there is very little chance of it working on an iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.