Acrobat Reader

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Did you look in the Mac App Store? I'm on my iPad right now so I can't tell you for sure.

OP
T
Reaction score
Not anything I can see for Acrobat Reader in the Mac App Store...I downloaded 10.0.1 version of Acrobat Reader then it asked me to 10.0.2, but it still seems to not be working.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Why would you want to use the bloated Acrobat Reader when your Mac is fully capable of viewing PDF files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
To the OP:

Why would you want to use the bloated Acrobat Reader when your Mac is fully capable of viewing PDF files?

On this note, as I havent played around too much with the built-in version, can the built in version make notes and work with forms to be filled out?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good point. Preview can do some things such as add notes and insert some characters, but I don't believe it can fill in forms.

I remember having to use the Foxit Reader when in Windows to do that. Although the Acrobat Reader (Windows version) had more options it was an unwieldy application to use. It's also unwieldy in OS X is why I generally do not recommend using it.

Reaction score
On this note, as I havent played around too much with the built-in version, can the built in version make notes and work with forms to be filled out?

You should have mentioned that this is what you wanted to do to begin with!

Check out this fantastic free product:

Formulate Pro (free)
formulatepro - Overlay text and graphics on PDF documents. Great for filling out forms. - Google Project Hosting

Formulate Pro can even fill-in locked PDF forms, and it can save your added data without modifying the underlying PDF.

I use this product all the time to fill-in PDF forms. It's one of my favorite applications!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Randy, where do you find all this good stuff? You're a living encyclopedia of applications! ;P

Reaction score
Hey Randy, where do you find all this good stuff? You're a living encyclopedia of applications! ;P

I suspect that was a rhetorical question, but I do have an answer for it.

Part of it is that I have been a Mac user, and a Mac author, for a very long time, and I keep a large database of this sort of stuff. Sometimes I keep track of certain hard-to-find types of software because I get asked about it all the time, and sometimes I keep track of certain types of software because Windows bigots like to say that "there is no such software for the Macintosh". (I really hate that!)

For instance Windows bigots used to like to say that there was "no accounting software for the Mac." In fact, the opposite is true. There is a ton of accounting software for the Macintosh, maybe more than for Windows, it's just hard to find it all. I've done my best to find and keep track of as much of it as I can.

The other part is that I use my Mac day to day in a business setting. I'm an attorney and the head of a huge Mac user group for Mac-using attorneys. I send out my MacAttorney Newsletter to almost 9,000 subscribers. So I'm actively on the lookout for new/better solutions to use in my practice, and to write about for my users.

I'm in touch with a large number of developers, some of which know me from all the way back in the days when I wrote for Computer Currents or The Macintosh Bible.

Just today I heard from a developer that I've known for about 20 years who has a new product that automatically handles font problems. I'm investigating whether it will be a cure-all for the widespread font problems Word 2011 users have been experiencing.

Formulate was written by a wonderful gentleman for his own use about 5 or 6 years ago because at the time there was nothing quite like it for the Macintosh. At first he generously gave the program away to users from his own Web site. After he developed the much-updated Pro version, he donated the code to open source. I often ask users of Formulate Pro to send Andrew de los Reyes a nice e-mail thanking him for being so generous:
[email protected]

(I hope that wasn't too long-winded an answer.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.