Love the way Macs handles .zip files;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]
I just recently purchased my MBP and I work with archiving files a lot. When I download a .zip file, it automatically unzips the file and throws away the .zip! Just a little something that's really cool and I just recently realized.

Loving my Mac! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
I never saw it happening here

I download a zip file, but then I have to go to the folder and extract the file, after that I still have the .zip file

is this an option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
This is a Safari function (default web browser). There should be a way to enable this on other browsers.

Glad you're enjoying your Mac! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Sure! Get Onyx, install it and go to the Parameters tab, under general click the Archives button near the bottom.
This will install a preference pane into the system preferences where you can set what happens to archives on opening them.
Download OnyX for Mac - OS X maintenance & optimization tool. MacUpdate.com

No need for Onyx. Just open the Archive Utility itself (Macintosh HD:System:Library:CoreServices:Archive Utility) and choose Archive Utility > Preferences.

That's also where you set preferences for the Finder's Compress command.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]
@technologist;

Is there any way I can make this occur for every .rar I download as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
No need for Onyx. Just open the Archive Utility itself (Macintosh HD:System:Library:CoreServices:Archive Utility) and choose Archive Utility > Preferences.

That's also where you set preferences for the Finder's Compress command.

Well well, it always opens and closes so fast I never noticed that. :D

Reaction score
Well for my system default it doesn't delete the .zip files after I open them, however I love the ability to now just double click on it and have it extract to that sam location; I hated going through a lot of zips on the computer and having to right click and assign (extract to here). Of course you can highlight multiple archives at once but cutting out that action allows for a cleaner uncompressing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.