Ready to buy my first MacbookPro or iMac?

Reaction score
I am ready to buy my first mac for photo an HD video editing, still dont know if I should get the
1.-macbookpro 15"
2.2GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR

or

2.- IMAC 27"
2.2GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
1Tb 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR

only difference the memory 750gB to 1Tb

any comments on this?
thanks for your input,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
There is something to be said for portability. You can always add a monitor to a laptop but you can't put the desktop on your lap on the couch.

Make sure to upgrade to 8gb ram ASAP. especially if you are wanting to do video processing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You always get more "bang for your buck" from an iMac, however, as member "Deckyon" mentioned about the portability - it's very difficult to take a 27" iMac into Starbucks and enjoy the free AT&T wireless. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
it's very difficult to take a 27" iMac into Starbucks and enjoy the free AT&T wireless. :)

Would certainly get some wild reactions and it would make a funny youtube video.... would definitely go viral :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Would certainly get some wild reactions and it would make a funny youtube video.... would definitely go viral :p

Actually with a little bit of work, a few bricks of batteries and an inverter you could kludge together a bottom half to mate with the 27in iMac and build your own 27in custom one-of-a-kind MBP. ;)
Then all you would have to do is hire a bodybuilder to carry it around for you.

Reaction score
Get the MBP. As states, you can always get an external monitor for more screen space. It's just simply more versatile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]
Get the MBP. I'm all for portability, and the MBP you're considering is top notch. You should be fine with it. :)

Reaction score
Both are great choices. I have a iMac and a Macbook Pro. I love my iMac for the big screen and processing speed and multitasking ability (I upgraded the RAM to 16 GB), but I love my 13" Macbook Pro for the portable aspects for photography and just doing work anywhere. I also upgraded the RAM on my MacBook Pro to 8GB and upgraded the hard drive to 500 GB (still much less then having Apple add those items as a upgrade). So if you can only get one, I would say get a MacBook Pro, then after you get same max out the RAM for that specific model you choose (do it yourself). To me the Macbook Pro is by far the best laptop on the market. Plus, If you need Windows, you can install same and have the best of both worlds. So, I'm going to slightly favor the Macbook Pro in your situation.

May God Bless!

ED;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.