New To Apple TV

Reaction score
I am new to Apple TV, really MACs in general so please bare with me if I ask anything stupid.

I recently purchased an Ipad2 as well as the Apple TV. So far I think these are really going to change my life, but I have a few questions. For instance if I try and use the airplay for either Netflix, many internet videos, or MLB at bat (which I purchased), my tv only plays the sound and not the video. The video continues to play on my Ipad. Any ideas how to fix this?

Also I have a Buffalo Technology network attached storage device that I store all my music, videos etc on. However when I go into Itunes, it does not see that drive. Any ideas how I can get it to do that?

Any other tips and tricks are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am new to Apple TV, really MACs in general so please bare with me if I ask anything stupid.

I recently purchased an Ipad2 as well as the Apple TV. So far I think these are really going to change my life, but I have a few questions. For instance if I try and use the airplay for either Netflix, many internet videos, or MLB at bat (which I purchased), my tv only plays the sound and not the video. The video continues to play on my Ipad. Any ideas how to fix this?

Also I have a Buffalo Technology network attached storage device that I store all my music, videos etc on. However when I go into Itunes, it does not see that drive. Any ideas how I can get it to do that?

Any other tips and tricks are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

I have the original iPad and a DLink DNS-323 NAS. Using FileBrowser APP I am able to connect to and browse my NAS on my iPad, also double-clicking on videos streams them direct to my iPad.
I am hoping that when I get an ATV2 I will be able to use Airplay to stream to my TV as well (we shall see).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

First, it should be clarified if you have the original Apple TV or the Apple TV 2 (the ATV2 is a small black box). If you have the ATV2, then how are you accessing Netflix, MLB, etc? The ATV2 can load those all itself (be sure you have the latest updates), so using AirPlay via the iPad2 would be a bit of a kludge. It may even be deliberately blocked for licensing reasons with the providers (not allowed to display on 2 screens for example). In any event, be sure you have the latest updates for all devices installed.

Well iTunes doesn't look for attached drives, or any drive really. What you need to do is open the drive via the Finder, then drag/drop your files into iTunes.

EDIT: Easier still, drag/drop the master folder of your media and iTunes will parse through it and add everything inside. You should be sure that, in iTunes, you do not have the option enabled to copy everything added to the iTunes library folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.