No Flash Player support for my PPC OS X 10.4 PowerBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD
Running into trouble trying to install the new Flash Update...
Adobe site is saying they no longer support PPC computers and I should update the last PPC based Flash so I have.

Thing is everything that now uses Flash says it needs the latest update to run? What can I do as alot of things arnt gunna be able to run anymore on my perfectly functioning PowerBook G4?

Help!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Use your MB or iMac.

Do the same thing we did with our TI-99, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Atari, DOS, Win 3.1... machines.

Trash it, trade it, sell it while it's still worth something, hang onto it thinking it may be worth something when you're 60, use it for what it will do...

Technology stands still for no one.

OP
Stuerror
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD
yes because thats a brilliant way to look at things!
Something thats a few years old and works fine except for Adobe not being able to give you a decent working version of Flash means the thing should just be shelved.

It's my gf's computer and she doesn't have the money for a new one right now

Reaction score
okay

Use your MB or iMac.

Do the same thing we did with our TI-99, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Atari, DOS, Win 3.1... machines.

Trash it, trade it, sell it while it's still worth something, hang onto it thinking it may be worth something when you're 60, use it for what it will do...

Technology stands still for no one.

Great, you as a member of the mac-forums "staff" are recommending people "trash" computers because they don't have support from a crap third party that's only cutting support because they're at war with apple over the use of flash on their portable devices? You, sir, are why people hate mac users. Way to reinforce a stereotype instead of helping a person asking a reasonable question. People like you make me consider switching to windows, you hack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No.

Sadly the day of PowerPC operating systems are gone and finished. Go to Windows now and save us all some of your nasty sarcasm.

OP Adobe and others will not spend resources continually updating applications for PowerPC machines. They have reached the end of the update track as it were.

C

chas_m

Bob's advice was a little undiplomatic IMO but essentially, he's right.

a. the LAST PowerPC Mac rolled out in 2006. That was five years ago, or about the expected useful lifetime of a home computer.

b. While SOME developers choose to continue to offer PPC-supported versions, their number has been dwindling for YEARS. Adobe is hardly alone on this.

c. Flash, being a very badly-written bit of code, requires far more resources than it should. To be blunt, it needs more than that computer can adequately provide.

So, should you trash it? Nope! Not if everything else is working well.

But what you DO need to do (or she needs to do I should say) is to accept the fact that in computer terms, her computer is OLD and UNDERPOWERED and there are going to be limits to what it can do. Modern Flash is one of those limits, and you will run into others more and more often as time goes on.

I know some people think their purchases should last nearly forever, but I always ask them how many cars they've owned and that usually gives them a new perspective. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While everyone likes to pick on the first item of my post, I'll just reiterate the other options I also mentioned:

trade it
sell it
hang on to it
continue using it for the things it will still perform

and I left one off:

find a youngster who's parents can't afford a computer and give it away - that's what I did with all of my one year old machines - spend some time with them getting it set up and teaching them some about how to use it - the return smiles you'll get will make it extremely worthwhile

I'm sorry, but as someone that had to shell out for a new computer every single year for well over a decade and a half if I wanted to play the new game that just came out or use just about any other new piece of software - and in DOS and Windows mind you - I firmly believe that all these folks living only in the age of computers lasting for 4 & 5 years have got it made in the shade compared to where we were during the late 80's to the early 00's. Just be glad you weren't buying computers when everything from the processor to the GPU to memory and bus speeds were doubling every year instead of the 3-5 years it's taking today.

I make no excuses for my comments. And it's got nothing to do with Apple or Adobe or MS. Computing technology has not yet reached the point of standing still. Four to five years for a computer though, they have come a long ways, with a long ways to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.