Just curious...

Reaction score
I bought a mid 2010 Macbook Pro about a month ago and love the Mac OS (first time I have had an Apple in over 10 years and instantly picked right up on it). I recently built my first rig and was curious why Mac OS is not available for home builds. I am not asking "how do I do it" (I know about all the hackintosh stuff and have no interest in doing that) I am simply asking why. Is it compatibility or Apple just wanting you to have to buy a Mac to have the Mac OS? I would have preferred putting Snow Leopard on my new build opposed to Windows 7.
Thanks for any explanation,
Aaron

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If Apple controls the hardware that they write software for, they can ensure the greatest amount of stability and performance. When writing software for an open hardware architecture, you have to write it for the lowest common denominator and that usually leads to issue with incompatibilities and lack of performance or stability..

Case in point, the PC's that run a hacked version of OS X the best are the ones that most closely mirror a Mac's hardware configuration.

So unless you absolutely have to run Windows on your built rig, due to gaming or other applications, Linux is a good alternative to get a very stable platform.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Actually, the answer is much simpler:

Apple makes more money selling a complete computer than it would selling a copy of an OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.