• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Blog: Wireless Networking FAQ

Reaction score
Wireless Networking FAQ

With more people buying notebooks and setting up home networks, we field quite a few questions related to wireless technology. The goal of this guide is to address some of the more common questions related to wireless networking to educate you in some key areas in order to keep your connection running smoothly.

Range and Interference

The location and placement of your wireless router can dramatically impact the effective range of your wireless network. Your router should be placed as centrally within your home as possible. An ideal location in a two-story home would be on the 2nd floor, up on top of a shelf in a central room.

By far, two of the biggest sources of interference are cordless phones (especially those that run on the 2.4GHz band) and microwave ovens. If you have a cordless phone or microwave, it’s best to keep the router away from it. Screen doors and other materials comprised of wire mesh can also detract from wireless performance.

Your router is equipped with means to overcome interference from other wireless devices. Nearly all routers offer the ability to change the wireless channel on which they operate. *Typically a small shift in frequency is enough to keep your router’s wireless signal from conflicting with another router in your neighborhood or another device that works on the same frequency.

Firmware Issues

Wireless routers are small computers that run an operating system much like your computer runs Mac OS X. As such, most vendors provide regular updates that include bug fixes and security patches, as well as occasional feature updates. If you are experiencing problems with intermittent connections that require a reboot of the router, it’s possible that your router needs a firmware update.

Firmware is much like software in that it is updateable via a utility built into your router’s configuration program. When a firmware update is needed, you will download the update from the vendor’s website, then log into the router and upload the update file to the router.

Wireless Security

Wireless security is by far the most misunderstood aspect of wireless *technology. Out of the box, most wireless routers have no security enabled. *It is up to the user to establish some form of security once the initial setup is complete.

When a wireless connection is unsecured, your network and Internet connection are freely available to anyone within range of your router. Also, any relatively savvy user can intercept things like passwords, banking information and credit card numbers.

The original wireless security protocol is called WEP. *Additionally, many people use a technology known as “MAC filtering”, which specifies which devices are allowed to talk to the network. These technologies, whether used in tandem or separately, are largely ineffective.

Recent developments in readily available hacking tools can thwart a WEP secured connection within minutes. It is highly recommended that you move to a stronger encryption method if you are currently using WEP.

Most modern routers and network cards made since late 2002 support better means of security known as WPA and WPA2 .

WPA is a strong, yet easy to use, encryption method. Once you’ve set WPA as the encryption choice, you then choose a “passphrase” (sometimes just referred to as a “password”). You should choose a non-English word that includes symbols or numbers so that it cannot be easily broken. Once the password is set on the router, the next time you try to connect with one of your wireless computers, you will be prompted for a password. Enter the password you chose and you should be connected securely.

WPA2 is another variant of WPA that is updated for better speed and security. It works very much in the same way as WPA, but is only supported by newer routers. If your router offers WPA2, you should choose it.

FAQ:

Q: How do I access my router’s configuration options?

A: Like with many things, the process will vary depending on the make and model of your router. You should consult your user manual. For Apple routers, you will use the Airport Utility, located in your Applications => Utilities folder.

Q: Do I need to buy an AirPort wireless base station to use my Mac wirelessly?

A: Absolutely not. Although the AirPort is a well-reviewed wireless router, it conforms to the 802.11(a/b/g/n) specification like any other wireless device. These devices are designed to have*interoperability.

Q: What wireless vendors support Macs?

A: Apple, D-Link, and Belkin officially support Macs. Linksys and Netgear do not. That doesn’t mean your can’t use a Netgear or Linksys router (or any other brand for the matter), but if you need help with your router, don’t expect the help desk to assist once you tell them you’re on a Mac.

Q: My Mac connects just fine without security, it’s only when I enable security that it has problems. What gives?

A: Recent security updates have been known to be problematic with some wireless security standards. If you are having difficulty, upgrade your firmware to the latest version. Enable WPA2 if you’re using WPA. Also, most newer Macs have compatibility problems with WEP encryption (which shouldn’t be used anyway).

Q: I’m having trouble maintaining a consistent connection recently. I didn’t change anything, what can the problem be?

A: It’s possible that your neighbor hooked up a new router that is conflicting with your router. You should try changing the wireless channel to something different. If you’d like to see what other wireless networks are available in your neighborhood, try the AirPort Radar widget. The AirPort Radar widget will sniff out other networks in your area and tell you what channel and what kind of security they use.

Q: What with all of this ‘b’ ‘g’ and ‘n’ stuff? What’s the difference and why should I care?

A: b/g/n are all different varieties of the 802.11 WiFi standard which are all interoperable. B runs at 11Mb/s, G runs at 54Mb/s, and N runs at a theoretical rate of 248Mb/s. Each will vary depending on conditions and range.

Although each standard is backward compatible, if you connect a ‘g’ device to an ‘n’ network, the network will only function at ‘g’ speeds. For most people who simply want to share an Internet connection, ‘g’ will work just fine. Even the fastest cable modem connections only run at 6-10Mb/s, so you’d never be able to saturate the bandwidth alloted by a ‘g’-based network (54Mb/s).

If you intend to purchase an AppleTV or stream video amongst the computers on your network, then it may make sense to go with an ‘n’ based router.

Q: My router is a dual-band unit. Is it better to use 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz?

A: If your router supports more than one band, find out if it can auto-select the best band given conditions in the environment. The latest AirPort Extreme can do this automatically, but some routers will offer you the option of setting up multiple networks – for example, one specific to media players and one for ordinary computers.

In general, the higher you go up in the spectrum (5GHz), the more limited range will be, but keep in mind that 5GHz is also far less “crowded” than 2.4GHz, so effective range may actually be better since you’re not having to contend with other wireless radio signals.

Q: My computer’s built-in AirPort wireless adapter doesn’t seem to be working well. Do these things “go bad” after some time?

A: In theory, your wireless adapter is made of “solid state” components and should last the life of your equipment. However, in some cases, I have seen cards fail after some time or have limited range. If you’re having chronic problems with your AirPort card on multiple networks, you may be able to replace the internal adapter (depending on the model of MacBook). One site that specializes in these replacements is QuickerTek (http://www.quickertek.com/).

Also, many vendors offer USB devices that include Mac-specific drivers. I have successfully tested the ASUS model USB-N10, a tiny dime-sized adapter and found that it works well.

Share and Enjoy:

No related posts.

From the Mac-Forums Blog

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Interesting. Nice write up. I was debating about sending a note to a mod to see if it would have been a worthwhile exercise for me to write one of these myself - just as a way to give a little back since I've learned so much from this forum. We definitely see lot's of questions on this topic and there are just so many elements that can impact your wireless performance. I'm glad I didn't write a few pages only to be scooped by the bot! :) Just as an aside - the 'n' theoretical rate is much higher than 248 Mbps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're interested in writing up a blog post (not necessarily wireless as we already have one) we welcome your input. The only thing we ask is that you contact our Administrator (schweb) by private mail so he can get you setup with an author account. He'll also provide you with guidelines as to style and content for the blog.

Thanks for your interest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you're interested in writing up a blog post (not necessarily wireless as we already have one) we welcome your input. The only thing we ask is that you contact our Administrator (schweb) by private mail so he can get you setup with an author account. He'll also provide you with guidelines as to style and content for the blog.

Yes, what he said. :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Yes, what he said. :)

Roger that. I'm not sure what I'm 'qualified' to talk about (pertinent to Macs anyway) but if inspiration strikes or if I can help, I'm happy to. :) I could write about the hilarious antics involved with potty training a 3yr old little girl :) - something I've been learning a lot about lately.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Roger that. I'm not sure what I'm 'qualified' to talk about (pertinent to Macs anyway) but if inspiration strikes or if I can help, I'm happy to. :) I could write about the hilarious antics involved with potty training a 3yr old little girl :) - something I've been learning a lot about lately.

:) Been there done that - twice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Note that this is actually a re-write of an older sticky that was posted some time ago in the Networking forum. Look for more in the future as we transition this kind of important information into blog articles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The only thing I don't like here is having this in the news section. It's more an FAQ then it is news. And it'll just just get buried in the news topic if it's left here. I'd almost think about making a new area in the forums for these kind of topics. I'd throw in the antivirus and other faq's in the switchers topic in this new are too.

The new are would just have these faqs. For easy access. People could reply to the topics in there but only mobs could add in new topics in there. Simply to ensure the faqs are well written before they went in there.

This would remove the number of stickies in other topics. Cause I get the feeling the mods here don't us to have to wade through a page of stickies before we get to the topics we want.

This way the faqs will have their own special area. And there wont have to be a million stickies in other topics or these topics getting buried on page 5 of other areas. Plus this is an FAQ and not really news. And then we can update the FAQs so they don't get outdated.

That's my feelings on this. And apart from all that I like the idea of these kind of FAQs. I'd really like to see one written on Hard Drives. Specifically on how SSD and platter hard drives work. But explained for everyone to understand. Cause many people don't know the pros and cons of each one.

Another one explaining i3 vs i5 vs i7 would be nice. But this one suffers the issue of becoming outdated quickly whenever intel updates their cpus. Cause from I've read fast and the high number is not necessarily the best.

Well back on topic. The FAQ in question here is written well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There will be a way that topics such as this one will be permanently linked and referenced within the forum so we've got that piece covered. It won't be a FAQ forum or anything like that, we've tried that and it was a huge failure, but instead something else.

As for whether it should be here or not, all Mac-Forum's blog articles will also post in this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
So this is now a "News, Rumours and Blogs" area. I understand. Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So this is now a "News, Rumours and Blogs" area. I understand. Thanks for the input.

If you feel that's better for you, you are free to call it that.

Glad it worked out. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you feel that's better for you, you are free to call it that.
I call it what it is. And thank you :).
I just didn't want the blogs to be buried under a million other posts. That's all.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I call it what it is. And thank you :).
I just didn't want the blogs to be buried under a million other posts. That's all.

They're not - it's more about announcing a new blog entry (even though the post in this case included the entire content of the article). The blog article is still there in its entirety for anyone who visits the actual blog page. The "news" is that the blog has been updated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.