• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with firewire transfer

Reaction score
Hey, I recently got a new Macbook Pro, and have been trying to put video from my camcorder onto it. It won't work though, and I need help to do it.
My camcorder is a SONY HANDYCAM DCR-HC27, it uses miniDv tapes.

I know it's a bit of an old camera, and from all the research I've done so far, it's not easy to get sony cameras to connect on Macs. I really need help to get this working. I bought the right Lead i'm sure of it. I can't afford to buy a new camera, so I'm willing to look at any options to connect what I have already.

Thanks guys. I'd really like to hear from guys who have actually done it with this camera as well, but anyone is welcome to advise.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I believe that is the camera I have, and though it has been a long while (several years) import into iMovie using the Firewire connection was easy as I remember it.

I have a few movies I still need to import that I have been putting off. I will try doing some this weekend and post back if you don't have an answer by then.

EDIT: If I am wrong (it is possible that I did the actual download on a windows machine (SHUDDER!!!) and then uploaded to iMovie), Elgato makes a number of products for video import on the Mac. You could use the Sony in VCR mode and take the output into the Elgato Video Capture adaptor
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029U2YSA/?tag=macforums0e4-20

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, I hope I get answer soon though.
I probably should have mentioned, the camera doesn't show up with I do anything with it, I can't find it when it plugs in, and imovie won't do anything with it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks, I hope I get answer soon though.
I probably should have mentioned, the camera doesn't show up with I do anything with it, I can't find it when it plugs in, and imovie won't do anything with it.
I edited my original post while you were responding, so you may want to look at it again.

When you say that iMovie doesn't see it, this is when you select import and from camera?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I take it that you are using a Firewire lead to connect to your Mac? Also check that the camera is in the playback setting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I had the a similar issue recently. I have a Sony HDV camera that doesn't show up in iMovie. It's not a big deal because I use Final Cut Pro and it works with that, I was just wondering why it wouldn't show up in iMovie. All I get when I click the Import button is the webcam. I'd be interested to find out why this is.

C

chas_m

Everything I can find on this model indicates it should work. Sony calls their Firewire port "iLink" so be certain you are connecting to that.

Beyond that, it may help to connect the camera to the Mac first, open iMovie second, switch the camera on and put in Play mode THIRD. With some cameras, this makes a difference.

Reaction score
Everything I can find on this model indicates it should work. Sony calls their Firewire port "iLink" so be certain you are connecting to that.

Beyond that, it may help to connect the camera to the Mac first, open iMovie second, switch the camera on and put in Play mode THIRD. With some cameras, this makes a difference.

Just like to say that this method worked for me. Thanks Chas_M!

Eamonlaser

OP
B
Reaction score
Unfortunately it never worked for me, so there must be something else that isn't working too, otherwise I'm sure I'd have got it after this many tries.
Thanks anyway, at least it worked for someone, so it wasn't a total waste :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.