Unable to install drivers from Mac OSX installation disk in Vista

Reaction score
I've been trying to get Windows Vista going with Boot Camp on my new 13' MacBook Pro. I've been able to initiate Boot Camp in Mac OSX, partition the harddrive, and install Vista.

However, when I insert my Mac OS X Install DVD while in Vista, in order to install the drivers, I get this message:
'Boot camp requires that your computer is running Windows 7'

I thought that boot camp allowed any of Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 to be run on a Mac?

Does anyone know how I can get my installation disk to install the drivers onto the Vista partition of my harddisk?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
W
Reaction score
****. Seems that my MBP is compatible only with Windows 7.....

So I suppose that trying an installation disk from an earlier Mac computer would be pointless?

OP
W
Reaction score
So, does that mean that there's no way to get this copy of Vista running on my early 2011 MBP? Is there some other simple way to get all the necessary drivers installed?
I'm very averse to having to spend hundreds of dollars on a copy of Windows 7.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Doubtful that an earlier copy of OS X would have even the chipset drivers available for that machine. You might try google and see if anyone has had any success.

Although, my guess would be that most people that would spend the time trying to make it work, either stayed with XP and never even installed a copy of Vista on any of their personal machines or have moved on to Win7. I am in that crowd. Never gave MS any money for Vista. It is, in fact, the reason I even have a Mac.

It doesn't cost hundreds for Win 7. You can get an OEM version of Win 7 from several places for $100 to $130 - check newegg and Amazon.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, does that mean that there's no way to get this copy of Vista running on my early 2011 MBP? Is there some other simple way to get all the necessary drivers installed?
I'm very averse to having to spend hundreds of dollars on a copy of Windows 7.

There is a way if you don't care about playing games. Parallels or Fusion should support running Vista in a virtual environment. But that means you'll need a copy of either which will cost around $70 or slightly more.

Also, Windows 7 does not cost hundreds of dollars. It's $99.99 for the 64 bit OEM system builders full version at Amazon.com. LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.