Airport Express ProblemS!!!

Reaction score
Here is what I have:

Macbook Pro 10.7.6
Airport Express
Canon Faxphone L90
LinkSys Ethernet Switch
Time Warner Internet Modem

I connected the ethernet cable from the internet modem to the Ethernet Switch (since the Express only has one ethernet port).
Then, I connected one ethernet cable to the Airport Express.

I connected the USB cable from the printer to the airport express.

I ran another ethernet cable from the switch to my xBox.

Problems:
I connect wirelessly with my macbook just fine.
I can connect wirelessly with my xBox just fine.

I cannot print wirelessly. I have updated the printer's drivers and firmware.

I cannot connect to xBox live when I hardwire my xBox with an ethernet cable connected to my switch.

Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Leaving your printer aside for a moment.

Your airport express is acting as a router for any traffic it's getting wirelessly it's just seeing the ethernet connection as a modem and is using it as such. The other devices connected by cable aren't being served because the switch doesn't know what to do with them.

I'd suggest getting yourself a cheap, four port, cable router. Ditch the switch.

Connect the modem to the router DSL port, connect the xbox to the router, connect the airport express to the router to provide your wireless network.

As far as the printer goes . . . what's the make and model? Does it work connected directly to your Mac?

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Would it be better to just get the Airport Extreme since it is has multiple ethernet ports?

Since I would have to give up the wireless audio streaming (from Macbook to stereo), are there any other devices that will allow me to play music via iTunes to stereo, wirelessly?

As for the printer, it is a Canon Faxphone L90. Link is below:
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : FAXPHONE L90

When I have the USB connected directly to my Macbook, it prints. Although I come across some formatting issues (paper size, fonts, etc.), overall, it prints fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
An Airport Extreme IS a cable router, albeit an expensive one.

Are you suggesting getting rid of the Airport Express in favour of the Extreme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you used an airport extreme (or another wireless capable cable router) in conjuction with the airport express you can stream music wirelessly across your network.

I'm having doubts you'll get that printer to work on a networked USB connection. But your best bet is to fire an email off to canon and ask them if it's compatible with a networked USB print server

OP
L
Reaction score
I would either have the Airport Express or the Extreme. The playing music via network is just a bonus, nothing too important. I much rather have the wireless printing and the wireless router. I think the Extreme is my best bet. Can I use an ethernet cable from my Extreme to my xBox and have a wired connection?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As BrianLachoreVPI say syes, you can connect an XBOX to the Airport Extreme.

I personally believe the Extreme is overkill for the scenario you've described. A good quality 4 port router and the airport express will work just as well, give you audio streaming and be cheaper overall.

However, I'd still suggest contacting Canon first. I still doubt whether that particular printer will work with the Express or the Extreme

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.