Which network hard drive to buy to back up my macbook to (not time capsule tho)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
As title says, im looking for a reliable and fair priced network hard drive to back my macbook upto using the time machine facility. Ive had my macbook 2 months now and i need to take it in t have the superdrive replaced and i want to back it up before i take it in just incase something happens and i dont want to lose all my music, pictures etc. Can someone recomnend one but as i said not the time capsule for 2 reasons i cant afford it and ive heard too many storys of it failing lol...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What is your budget? Most NAS isn't all that cheap. Secondly - all hard drives fail sooner or later. The original time capsule had a high failure rate due to power supplies. They seemed to have fixed the power supply issue in their second generation. You need to find a NAS that supports time machine - specifically afp+ - otherwise time machine won't see the drive.

WD makes a 1-3tb ranging from $129-220 on amazon
Amazon.com: Western Digital My Book Live 2 TB Home Network Attached Storage Drive: Electronics

Or you could get something that offers raid - like the netgear
Amazon.com: NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo 2-Bay (Diskless) Desktop Network Attached Storage RND2000: Electronics
Diskless is $197 - then you can pick what ever drives you want - or if you have drives lying around you could use them.

Search for NAS time machine or NAS afp+ - for more options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
I've always wanted a Drobo
I've heard nothing but good things about them. Add and remove hard disks as needed. The hard disks don't even have to be the same size...

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
ive bought one of the western digital my book 1tb, got it for £69 which i thought was a very good price. Could nt get it to work with time machine at 1st but its backing up now in time machine, 18gb into the 119gb on my macbook pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.