Help please. My iMacs being controlled by someone else

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post so please be gentle. I was sitting next to my iMac musing my own business when photoshop opened up one of my psd files on my desktop. I thought it was a bit weird so went to restart and I couldn't control anything the cursor was moving around by itself clicking and moving stuff.so I quickly turned off my iMac and restarted now I can control it again.

I have no sharing options on and I am really concerned. Shall I reset my modem? Or will they be able to access whenever they want.

How do I know it won't happen again?

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Do you live with some one that has another Mad and is on the same network? Then they can screen share with your computer if they know the User name and password. It might just be a stale joke.

But if you don't, have you downloaded anything unusually lately?

- Kyle

Reaction score
I would hardwire your computer directly to your modem and work off of the network for a few days, see if the problem continues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Are you running any bluetooth peripherals such as BT keyboard/mouse/Magic Trackpad/Wacom Tablet ?

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think before we go any further, we need the OP to answer one question - does anyone else have physical access to your iMac?

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi
my firewall is on
no-one else has a mac near me and i have turned off all the sharing options
I havn't downloaded anything recently.
and i'm not running anything through bluetooth. I have turned it off.

I'm worried its going to happen again when i'm not there. I've now set it up so it logs off every 5 minutes but if i'm downloading something i prefer to leave it and it might happen then.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

I think before we go any further, we need the OP to answer one question - does anyone else have physical access to your iMac?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
put it this way. to do what you are claiming your mac is doing:

- your password needs to be compromised.

with this, they can install VNC, and log into your computer on a network any time the like, or SSH into your system whenever they like.

is there anyone around you that would know your password, or is it easily guessable?

(i.e blank, or "passw0rd" etc.)

OP
J
Reaction score
put it this way. to do what you are claiming your mac is doing:

- your password needs to be compromised.

with this, they can install VNC, and log into your computer on a network any time the like, or SSH into your system whenever they like.

is there anyone around you that would know your password, or is it easily guessable?

(i.e blank, or "passw0rd" etc.)

Nobody knows my password and will be impossible to guess. I take it there's no software that can see why it happened or prevent it from happening again. I have made it so it locks after 5 minutes of inactivity and there has been no further signs of it happening again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nobody knows my password and will be impossible to guess. I take it there's no software that can see why it happened or prevent it from happening again. I have made it so it locks after 5 minutes of inactivity and there has been no further signs of it happening again.

Again - we still need to know if any other person has *physical* access to the machine. I'm not talking about some remote entity on the Internet, I'm talking about someone else who could *walk up* and touch the machine.

For example - is the machine in a private home only accessible to you? Or is it in a dorm where your roommate might be able to get to it?

This is absolutely key to advising you appropriately on how to secure the machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am the only one that uses my computer and it's not accessible to anyone else.

Great. So, that pretty much rules out someone installing something like VNC or Logmein to remotely control the machine and pretty much narrows the scope of this issue.

Next questions:

1. What version of Mac OS X are you running?
2. Have you run Software Update to make sure you're up-to-date on security patches?
3. Are you up-to-date on Adobe Flash & Reader?
4. Have you downloaded any pirated software (ever)?

You mentioned that you have Sharing turned off. Please open System Preferences => Sharing and ensure that it looks exactly like this:

2011-04-13_0753.png

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm running 10.5.8. I have just updated the software and installed the updates, adobe flash and reader are up to date and i have never downloaded pirated software.

My sharing options are also identical to the screen shot shown.

When i said it's being controlled by someone else this was my initial thought because stuff was happening on my screen that i wasn't controlling, but since i restarted it there has been no signs of it happening again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is your Name Chris also?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.