Best Buy 4 Years vs Apple Care 3 Years - Ideas?

Reaction score
I just bought an iMac 27" and am trying to decide between Best Buys extended warrenty plan and apple care.

Best Buy: $279.99, 4 Years, Parts&Labor for entire warranty life + 1 time replacement for accidental damage

Apple Care: $169.99: 3 Years Parts&Labor

I had the Apple Care plan for my iMac G5 20" and was very happy with it. The logic board went out twice and a few other little things within the 3 years and they fixed it no problem. Unfortunately, at year 6 it went out for good. So based on my experience, I will get a warranty plan. However, the Best buy deal seems better, as you get another year, not to mention accidental damage.

What are you thoughts? Does anyone have any experience with the Best Buy plan? Do they give you hassles? Apple was great in my experience.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keep in mind that you have one year of Apple care and free telephone support for 90 days even if you never buy the extended Apple care plan.

Also, I'm not sure I would buy accidental damage coverage for a 27" desktop Mac. An iMac doesn't get hauled around like a MacBook Pro. And it's pretty hard to drop one. :) To add further, the iMac because of how it sits (vertical build) is fairly immune from spills. Yeah, you could spill coffee on the keyboard I guess, but that's only a $49 replacement.

I would buy the Apple care and forgo the Best Buy coverage. You also have up until the first year is over to buy the extended Apple Care.

OP
U
Reaction score
Yeah, having a full year to get apple care is very tempting. Especially considering I spent $1700 already.

However, I know I'll get to the end of year 3, and wish I could extend the warranty. Even if only for one year....I think it may be worth $100.

I love the iMac...but after having two logic boards go out you get somewhat worried. I hope these are built a little better. I could have kept my G5 for 3 or 4 more years without even considering an upgrade.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah, having a full year to get apple care is very tempting. Especially considering I spent $1700 already.

However, I know I'll get to the end of year 3, and wish I could extend the warranty. Even if only for one year....I think it may be worth $100.

Extended warranty's are a bit of a gamble. Yeah...it feels really good when you have the warranty...but when the warranty period is over (and you've had no problems)...sometimes you feel sort of silly for spending the $269 extra & have nothing to show for it.

The accidental damage part of Best Buy's warranty is pretty good...just remember & read the fine print. The "accidental damage" part of the warranty only covers a single instance...after the first accident...you need to renew the warranty to continue the accidental coverage (I'm not sure if you have to spend the full warranty cost...or a portion of the cost).

Like "chscag" mentioned...accidental damage coverage on a desktop computer (that doesn't get moved around much) isn't nearly as useful, as accidental damage coverage for a laptop/notebook computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Check out square trade.. I have found them to be a better deal most times

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anyone who decides to purchase a Square Trade warranty should first read their legalese and take note of what their requirements are for repairs or replacements.

For example: If your 27" iMac goes south for some reason and you're covered by Square Trade, you are required to ship the computer to them for repairs. They will provide the shipping label and container. But you need to weigh that against Apple care. Who would you rather have working on your Apple product? ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.