Need help with file metadata from PC to Mac

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newly transferred to the OSX system and I have a question for the gurus and the pundits regarding metadata transfer.

I have a bunch of family pictures (JPG) from my PC (Windoze XP, NTFS). I used the properties command to add comments and descriptions, edit dates, etc. I then transferred them to the iMac and found that all my edits are now gone. Using 'get info' showed nothing except for the EXIF data but no comments or descriptions made in the PC edit. I then imported them to iPhoto and tried to see if the information was there. There was none.

The transfer to the Mac was done through an external HD with NTFS formatting.

Since I still have the PC with the original photos, I still have access to the originals. Is there a way for me to transfer the metadata I added to the files and show in the Mac? I have done this to hundreds of family photos dating back a few years and I don't want to start all over again. Please help. Thank you.

Butch

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I know, straight copying will not transfer metadata from the Windows NTFS or FAT-32 file system to your Mac (which uses the Unix file system). Things like attributes will transfer but not system ownership or metadata.

Doing some more research on this, I found that using Adobe Lightroom 3 in Windows and again Adobe Lightroom 3 for the Mac that you can in fact transfer your edits and metadata. Kind of an expensive way to do it, however. There may be other photo editing software which can do the same thing, so dig around a bit. In the meantime, here's the URL for Adobe Lightroom 3. LINK

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you. If that's the only way, the work done over the years is probably worth it. Unfortunately, I transferred to the Mac since I wanted to get rid of the PC. It would be a shame to purchase a new app just to throw away. I wonder how Lightroom does it, maybe it saves all the info in a proprietary format?

I'll look for other software as you suggested. Maybe there is another application out there.

OP
D
Reaction score
just thought of this. If i connect both computers to the same network, will the attributes be transferred over since they're talking SMB?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure if they would but it would certainly be worth a try. Let us know if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.