iPhone 3GS - Charging is not supported by this accessory

Reaction score
I have recently bought a used iPhone 3GS. The phone is up and running, except for one minor issue.

When I connect the iPhone to my Windows PC, I get the message "Charging is not supported by this accessory" with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark. It will successfully sync but simply won't charge.

I have tried various USB ports and different cables, all official Apple. I have tried restoring the iPhone, reinstalling iTunes etc.

It will however charge from my work laptop, so I am investigating the set up of my USB ports on my PC.

Any other idea's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Try to clean the dock connector. Use a swab or some compressed air. I have seen issues in the past with that happening. No guarantees, but it is free! :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks John, but I have tried this already. As I said, it charges fine from another computer with the same cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Thanks John, but I have tried this already. As I said, it charges fine from another computer with the same cable.

Sorry, missed that last sentence. How old is your Windows PC? Are all the ports USB 2.0??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iPhone draws quite a bit of current from the USB port, more so than an iPod for example. It sounds like your Windows PC does not have enough juice flowing thru the USB ports to support charging the phone. You could try a powered hub, but if it were me, I'd just buy one of those handy portable chargers from Belkin. We use one here and at the office and it works real well. They cost around $29.95 at Target or Wal-Mart.

OP
D
Reaction score
I was literally just checking my USB ports to see if they are USB2. According to my devices manager, I have one 'enhanced USB' suggesting it is USB2 but having now tried every port, it still won't work.

My PC is quite old now, having been built by my brother many years ago. I think I might be best trying a friends 3GS on this PC to see, as it is certainly pointing towards that rather than the iPhone.

I forgot to say, I used to own an iPhone 3G and had no problems there, but as you've suggested, I understand that the 3GS uses a bit more juice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 13,2, i7, 3Tb, 24G RAM
Same problem with a twist

Hi folks,

I am getting this same message on my 3GS, but the phone is not connected to anything. It pops up on my iPhone screen, I tap the "Dismiss" button, and it is back 30 seconds later.

I have cycled the power, deleted the last 3 apps I downloaded, and done a restore. I'm out of ideas.

**Edit**
OK, I've found a couple of other threads about this. Bent pin may be the thing. Problem goes away when I plug it into a charger.

C

chas_m

I was literally just checking my USB ports to see if they are USB2. According to my devices manager, I have one 'enhanced USB' suggesting it is USB2 but having now tried every port, it still won't work.

"Enhanced USB" ≠ USB 2. I think you've found the problem, and the problem is that your USB ports (which are almost certainly 1.0 and 1.1) don't carry enough juice.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Some hubs will throw put this error even if the iPhone is charging. Even if the port is new enough to have USB 3 connections. Since I started syncing via wifi I usually don't plug into the computer via USB.

I have a USB hub attached to the port on my Time Capsule. With the phone connected that error appears. Funny thing is the phone charges. I have not timed it to be sure but the phone may be charging a bit slower than it does connected to either the computer's USB port or electrical outlet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.