Restoring from Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Whoever said Macs rarely fail, but when they do its catastrophic! had it exactly right.

My iMac is/was over 6 years old... two years ago the Hd went south, and I put in a new one, but 2 weeks ago the logic board let the smoke escape so the old Motorola base iMac is off to the Computer gods. I checked out the new machines, but finally settled on a Refurbished Core 3i 21.5 that had an upgraded video/memory card.

But now I have a dilemma. When the Hard drive went, I purchased a 1 TB external drive in addition to replacing the internal, so that EVERYTHING would be backed up(including the OS which I think couldn't get past 10.5). I understand that when the new machine arrives, on Power up it will ask if I want to transfer everything from my old iMac. Since the logic board is toast, and it won't boot up connecting the two iMacs won't work. But, I do have the TimeMachine back up on that external drive.

So far so good, however, the new iMac will have the latest greatest OS X version( 10.8.xxx), and I don't want to fall back to the 10.5.8 version that my old iMac
was running under. Is there a prompt on start-up that says "Leave the stinking OS alone?"

I don't think I can find all the DVD's for iWork/iLife yada yadda... I know that I had MicroSoft office suite... Word and Excel were all I ever used, but I also had the Mac versions Pen/numbers etc.

Ok All this to ask, do I need to take both iMacs to Tyson's Corner Apple store and have the wizards of MacGeek make the new iMac look like the old one?

Thanks

KKKKFL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Migration Assistant should do all this for you from the TM backup without the older version of the OS, JUST your personal documents and settings.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Documents are the least of my concern... but what about all the applications that I have purchased over the past 6 years? Stuff like Microsoft Office with Word, Excel, power point etc. Which I hate but need for business. Then there's the applications that mimick MO like Apples suit of Pen, numbers, the PP clone, etc. I don't remember how many applications are there, and the concern is that without doing a DVD re-install I will lose these.

Seems to me Time Machine and back-up may or maynot do what I want, which is a carbon copy of what I had without reverting to the old OS 10.5.8 which might not be all that bad... I mean what does 10.6 really buy me?

Thanks

KKKKFL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.