When ejecting external drive it ejects all of them when copying

Reaction score
I have a big issue with my MacPro. I have 2x Xeon Intel processors, 8Gb RAM and Snow Leopard installed.

When I upgraded to Snow Leopard I reset the SMC.

I frequently have 3 or 4 external drives attached. If I am copying files between say, disk 1 and 2 and then eject disk 3 - the mac ejects disk 3. However, when I take out the usb plug the mac will eject all the disks and copying fails.

Has anyone heard of this issues? is there a way around it? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You could try a PRAM - NVRAM reset to see if that fixes it. But more likely you're going to have to leave the USB cable and drive attached until the other copying routine is finished. It sounds like the system is detecting the removal of the USB cable but instead of sorting it out to the one port, it's assuming all ports are free.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You could try a PRAM - NVRAM reset to see if that fixes it. But more likely you're going to have to leave the USB cable and drive attached until the other copying routine is finished. It sounds like the system is detecting the removal of the USB cable but instead of sorting it out to the one port, it's assuming all ports are free.

Especially if you have these drives plugged in through a hub.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks but I have tried that also. I reset the PRAM - NVRAM and SMC when installing Snow Leopard. When I installed Snow Leopard I also did a complete install, not just an upgrade. Seems like a really silly thing to happen - I was hoping a few updates would sort the problem out. They are also plugged directly into the Mac, not through a Hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is a Mac Pro, why not set the drives up internally as there are four drive slots? You will also find the internal SATA II transfers speeds much quicker than either Firewire or USB.

OP
S
Reaction score
I use all internal slots, one for the disk for the OSX, one for files, one for downloads and one for Time Machine. Due to the work I do I copy hundreds of files and constantly use external drives for clients and there' sis no way around this. I find it very difficult to understand that the Mac does this. Thanks anyway fro the suggestion.

Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution to this problem Steven_1979? I'm having the exact same problems and Apple's service providers here in Dublin can't replicate the problem or find any probable cause - even though they've had my Mac Pro (early 2009) three times!

Hopefully you'll see this and have some encouraging news.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.