iTunes library on external drive?

Reaction score
I have my iTunes library on my iMac at home. Quite a lot at work I would like to access the library on my MacBook Pro.

If I was to store my library on an external disk, would it be able to be switched between the desktop and laptop, so I could add music and play music regardless of whether I'm at work or home?

Many thanks
Stephen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you can use the same library on the HD for your iMac and MBP.

How to move your iTunes library to an external hard drive. LINK

OP
S
Reaction score
I have exported my iTunes files from my iMac to a WD external drive. I have now plugged the drive into my PowerBook. I have changed the media folder location to /Volumes/My Passport/iTunes in preferences. I also went to Library - Organise Library - Consolidate Files and did that as well.

But I can't see the files on My Passport in iTunes on the MacBook. Have I missed something here?

Reaction score
Hi - thread seemed recent so posting here.

Maybe you can help me find order in my iTunes, which I made messy through lack of preparation when moving to a new HD.

Steps so far:
1. Copied my 200gb iTunes folder from external HD1 to HD2
2. Changed media destination in iTunes to HD2 (the wrong way to do it).
3. When prompted, clicked yes to reorganise library, which took 2-3 hours.

Problem:
When I plug in either HD it recognises some tracks but not others – and not the same ones.

What I could use your help with:
A safe way to rebuild my library in HD2, from scratch if necessary. I'm not worried about keeping my playlists.

I would be very grateful if anybody could provide a step by step.

Thanks in advance guys...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.