Gonna be a long day! and a Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Ok, just got notice that my MBP got delivered at the house. Yes, I am excited.

I do have an issue already, though. I had just bought a new gaming mouse back in February. It is a Logitech G700 gaming mouse. Great mouse and one I am now very used to using in a number of games.

Wireless Gaming Mouse G700

Problem is, I went to look and see if it had drivers for the Mac and am disappointed to say it does not appear to. Now, when I bought it, I did not expect to be switching to a Mac. I also realize that it will work normally when I am in Windows 7 (going on later, but not for primary use.) I want to know if this mouse will work with the Mac and have all 13 buttons, or will I be better off selling it and getting a Razor Naga? While the Magic Mouse is nice, it doesn't fit well in my hand and I need the extra buttons (more than 3) for gaming.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great mouse but it looks like it was primarily designed for the serious Windows gamer. And without drivers for OS X, you'll lose functionality of most of the buttons - although some probably can be programmed with a bit of effort.

Before you decide to sell it, take a look at "SteerMouse" to see if that might provide more options.

Reaction score
Brad, congrats on the new MBP I hope you get your mouse problem worked out. I noticed you signature, boy you have a lot of Apple Toyz, I have to get busy!
Bill

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try it first. My Logitech MX900 without any driver works fine in OSX. I was able to program the buttons for Expose and Dashboard and Spaces and other things.

Not sure if all will work but give it a try anyway. I was surprised just how well this MX900 works with no driver installed.

Here is a pic of all the buttons you can program for a given action like Expose.

mouse.jpg

OP
Deckyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
SteerMouse looks like it is more geared to something other than the MagicMouse. The G700 is great, with 13 buttons, especially for MMORPGs and I have gotten so used to using that many buttons. The mouse the G700 replaced was also a Logitech that was a wired mouse and had 9 buttons, but I wore out the 2 main buttons...

I may still get the Magic Mouse. But I am leaning toward the Razor Mamba. I almost got it instead of the G700, however I opted for the less expensive mouse. Kinda looking like I should have spent the extra.
Buy Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse | Official Razer

However, a guy here at work may end up buying the G700 from me for $75, so I will get most of my money back anyway.

OP
Deckyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brad, congrats on the new MBP I hope you get your mouse problem worked out. I noticed you signature, boy you have a lot of Apple Toyz, I have to get busy!
Bill

Heh, yeah. I have had some kind of iPod since Gen2. After getting netflix I picked up the ATV2. The iPad was a "patting myself for a job well done" gift last year. No, I am not looking to move to the iPad 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
I know my HABU Razor gaming mouse plugged right into OSX with no issues whatsoever. Give it a try!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Steermouse supports a ton of different mice. I wouldn't rule it out until you've checked out the trial.

OP
Deckyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know my HABU Razor gaming mouse plugged right into OSX with no issues whatsoever. Give it a try!

Razor has full Mac support on their mice out of the box with the drivers. Logitech seems to be more Windows oriented, especially the G700.

Sittin here at work twiddling my thumbs waiting for the clock to hit go time. **** what a long day this has turned out to be.

The funniest thing is that the two power cords I ordered (Airline and 2nd standard cord for the bag) got here last week.

I am still waiting on a bag, however. They are out of stock of the one I ordered, so it wont be here for another week or so. I got the following one with all the addons.
SFBags - WaterField Designs - Laptop Sleeve - TSA Checkpoint Friendly - TSA Good - MacBook Pro - MacBook Air Sleeve - Macbook Air Case - Notebook Sleeve - Computer Sleeve - Laptop Case

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just went to the stearmouse page. Look on the right hand side about 1/2 way down. They recommend the G700 in fact for steermouse!

SteerMouse TOP

From the history page...

Improved compatibility with Logitech mice.
Good news: You can now customize all buttons on the Logitech G700.

So do what CWA suggested and try it. Looks like full support!!

OP
Deckyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OOh! Thanks! I am so used to disregarding the right pane of most websites as AD-Spam that I didn't even look at it beyond noticing it was a list of products, thus writing it off as spam.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem at all. Glad I could help. Just let us know how it all Works!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
As much as I love my Magic Mouse, the Razor is nice for games and for graphic work. Still, there's no browsing like Magic Mouse browsing.

OP
Deckyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest, 99% of my web browsing happens on my iPad anyway, however I can see the usefulness of the Magic Mouse once I were to get used to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.