Can you go back from Intel to PowerPC G5?

Reaction score
I realise this may seem like heresy to many folks, but I have finally reached the conclusion that I just don't NEED all the bells and whistles and mind-numbing speed that supposedly comes with an Intel processor and would like to get rid of this monster 24" iMac and get a G5 with a bunch of ram and a smaller monitor. I just don't do too much movie editing or other complex things.
My questions are as follows...

1. When I install the new system on the G5 and it asks me "do you want to transfer user info from another Mac" will it allow me to do so from the intel to the PPC via Firewire?
2. Will the Mail application still read my old email?
3. Can I import the things like keychain and the various plists (and, if so, how)?
and
4. Will it still sync with my 3G iPhone?

and any other things to watch out for..
any help/advice/warnings will be appreciated.

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I realise this may seem like heresy to many folks, but I have finally reached the conclusion that I just don't NEED all the bells and whistles and mind-numbing speed that supposedly comes with an Intel processor and would like to get rid of this monster 24" iMac and get a G5 with a bunch of ram and a smaller monitor. I just don't do too much movie editing or other complex things.
My questions are as follows...

1. When I install the new system on the G5 and it asks me "do you want to transfer user info from another Mac" will it allow me to do so from the intel to the PPC via Firewire?
2. Will the Mail application still read my old email?
3. Can I import the things like keychain and the various plists (and, if so, how)?
and
4. Will it still sync with my 3G iPhone?

and any other things to watch out for..

Thanks
I can well understand the intel iMacs exceed your current needs, and the desire for reduced monitor size. Don't really understand why (don't have to obviously since this is your decision) you have to go to a G5 to achieve your goal. Why not a 21.5 or even 17 inch intel iMac?
The original G5 heat build up issue which pushed Apple to go with intel hasn't gone away FWIW.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the input... it's not just the size of the monitor that's the issue... I would like to be able to access some of my old classic apps, for one thing. But, in truth, a big part of it is that, at 62, I really can't be arsed to keep learning new ways of doing the same thing. I was/am COMFORTABLE with Appleworks, Pagemaker and my old original programs where I used to be able to do what I wanted/needed to do without having to learn some new way to do old things.
I don't know anything about the "heat" issues.. but I'm GUESSING that maybe that happens when you push the thing to it's limits and I don't intend to do anything like that... I listen to some tunes, watch the occasional video, send some emails and design the odd flyer... I type a few words, keep my calender and contacts up to date.. real basic stuff.
It was the striving for the latest thing that got me this behometh in the first place. I've given it a good shot but I'm only using about a tenth of it's capabilities... and it's costing me my comfort level. At my age, I'll probably be able to happily end my watch using the old technology... leopard and some classic will do me just fine.
The question is, how hard is it to go on back.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can always take a step back in time but whether or not it's wise to do is another matter. As you've been told, the G5 machines had heat problems and aside from that, they're age worn. You can probably pick one up from Craig's list or any Mac reseller but you may be inheriting problems.

Keep in mind that the G5 is a PPC machine and will not be able to run the latest OS X or newer applications. As far as using your older classic apps, even on the G5 you would still need to install some sort of classic environment to run them.

Anyway, it's certainly your decision. My only advice is if you do find a G5 and buy it, don't get rid of your Intel iMac right away. Keep it in the closet until you're sure you no longer want it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well - it'll run Leopard, right? And it'll load in the classic format to run the odd application. I REALISE that such a backward move isn't the norm and certainly isn't what most folk would do. I don't WANT to run the "latest OSX or newer applications...
So my questions remain the same.. is it such a rare proposition that no-one knows whether it's possible? Surely not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Check out my thread just posted about restoring... and FWIW, I kept my G5 running as long as I could. Even had an extra fan blowing air up from the base. Even with these precautions, it finally gave up the ghost and the logic board fizzled. When I checked on replacing the board, it was almost the same as a new machine. Like yourself (I'm 67) I was quite happy with the old applications but at the end of the day, it becomes fiscally not worth the effort to stay in the past. My question is how can I drag as much forward as possible (See Time Machine Thread)

KKKKFL

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems to me if you want to retrograde (and I can definitely see your argument for doing it). You would be better served by either keeping your current iMac or going with a smaller intel iMac and installing Tiger or Leopard on it (as these would allow support of legacy software). It sounds to me that your major complaints are with the size of the screen (24 inch) and Snow Leopard, not neccessarily what processor your Mac is running.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nope - my major complaint is that I neither need or want the advantages and limitations that intel brings to the computer world and skills that I have become used to and comfortable with. I want to get off the "latest version" roller coaster and go back to where my skills and abilities worked for me rather than being cast aside with the necessity to learn new ones. Why should I have to start all over again learning "indesign" when I already know how to work pagemaker. Why should I have to learn some new webpage designed when I can run Claris Home page with my eyes closed.
Perhaps a more specific question is why is everyone trying so hard to talk me out of going back to where I am most comfortable?
If I sell the iMac that I currently only use a fraction of, I can buy a decent used G5 every two years for almost a decade... I won't have much use for a computer by then.

OP
M
Reaction score
Check out my thread just posted about restoring... and FWIW, I kept my G5 running as long as I could. Even had an extra fan blowing air up from the base. Even with these precautions, it finally gave up the ghost and the logic board fizzled. When I checked on replacing the board, it was almost the same as a new machine. Like yourself (I'm 67) I was quite happy with the old applications but at the end of the day, it becomes fiscally not worth the effort to stay in the past. My question is how can I drag as much forward as possible (See Time Machine Thread)

KKKKFL

Thank you for apparently understanding - hey, can I just restore a PC from a Time machine back up off the intel?

OP
M
Reaction score
Something else to bear in mind is that I notice that all of the warnings about overheating are coming from places like Texas and Arkansas...
I'm in northern England where the ambient temperature tends to not overheat stuff so much.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps a more specific question is why is everyone trying so hard to talk me out of going back to where I am most comfortable?

See the answer below

Thanks
FWIW No one is trying to talk you out of this as far as I can see, just trying to help you reach your goals in the most advantageous way to you.

OP
M
Reaction score
well - I asked four questions... so far I have been advised to not get a G5 because of heat build up issues, warned that I will not be able to run the latest OSX and it's apps and advised to get a smaller monitor intel machine..
but no answers to the questions.... FWIW.
I came to this forum for help, as I have done in the past. I just want to know whether what I want to do is possible, the best way to do it and how hard is it... The decision to revert to an older more functional (for me) processor and system is already made.

OP
M
Reaction score
here's another quesion which may clarify things - I'm not planning to get the G5 IMAC - but rather a G5 POWERMAC...
Most of the comments about overheating that I've found seem to apply to the G5 imac. Does the `PowerMac have the same issues?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here's another quesion which may clarify things - I'm not planning to get the G5 IMAC - but rather a G5 POWERMAC...
Most of the comments about overheating that I've found seem to apply to the G5 imac. Does the `PowerMac have the same issues?

I have never heard of any problems with the PowerMac and overheating. Obviously, you don't have the same cramped conditions as in the iMac. So, I think it would be a good choice if you are looking for a G5 based system.

As far as your other questions (assuming you are planning on running Tiger or Leopard) I don't see where you would have any problem with the transition. I can't specifically answer it because I have never tried it. The key here is not the processor, but the OS you are running.

EDIT: It looks like I spoke too soon. Just to make sure I did a search and found this.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1466124

So, it looks like the Power Mac wasn't immune to the problem. Still it should do better than the iMac G5.

OP
M
Reaction score
Cool - that's better news...well we'll see soon then eh?
If/when I get the process done, I'll report back in and attempt to answer my own questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Skimming the threads, I don't think I saw an answer to your 4th question about your iphone 3G being able to sync.

If you get OSX 10.5 (Leopard) then (to the best of my knowlege) you should still be able to run the latest version of itunes which is required to sync iOS 4.x.x devices. If you ever upgrade your iphone to new hardware (Either on purpose or due to device failure / breakage), and Apple decides to drop support for Leopard in iTunes, then you will not be able to sync anymore and will need either an intel Mac or a Windows PC to be able to sync it.

Just to ask a question. Do none of the programs you want to use work with Rosetta on your Intel Mac? Are they all OSX applications or are there OS9 apps you want to run in classic mode? If I understand right, classic mode was dropped in Leopard so you would need Tiger to run those which does not allow install of a current version of itunes so you would not be able to sync your iphone in that case.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if you do go the PowerMac route, avoid the Dual Core 2.5GHz and the Dual Processor 2.7GHz as both were liquid cooled and after six or seven years, leaks are pretty common thing destroying logic board, processors etc etc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Skimming the threads, I don't think I saw an answer to your 4th question about your iphone 3G being able to sync.

If you get OSX 10.5 (Leopard) then (to the best of my knowlege) you should still be able to run the latest version of itunes which is required to sync iOS 4.x.x devices. If you ever upgrade your iphone to new hardware (Either on purpose or due to device failure / breakage), and Apple decides to drop support for Leopard in iTunes, then you will not be able to sync anymore and will need either an intel Mac or a Windows PC to be able to sync it.

Just to ask a question. Do none of the programs you want to use work with Rosetta on your Intel Mac? Are they all OSX applications or are there OS9 apps you want to run in classic mode? If I understand right, classic mode was dropped in Leopard so you would need Tiger to run those which does not allow install of a current version of itunes so you would not be able to sync your iphone in that case.

-MikeM

Thanks Mike..
There are some OS9 apps I miss so I would set it up as a partitioned dual boot into Tiger and Leopard to be able to use them. And, I'm sure, as the prices continue to come down over time, I shall also get a small intel machine - just in case.
When I get the Powermac set up, do I just copy over the itunes folder from the old user in order to get all the iphone stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.