Problems with disc drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
I was ripping some of my cd collection to my MacBook Pro over the weekend and noticed sometimes when i pressed the eject button the drive would make noise and try to eject the cd but sometimes it never came out, now i had to use another cd to lift the stuck cd up to get it out. Its like it had ejected but was stuck or or something, and also some of the cds that i ripped was very very noisey, is this normal or do you think my drive could be faulty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
well assuming that the eject button was designed to eject a disk, and in your case is not doing so, I would have to say that its obviously not "normal"

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
i didnt ask for a sarcastic reply... if you have nothing descent to reply with why bother?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If this is happening with a lot of music CD's, it really sounds like an issue with the drive. How old is the MBP? Is it still under Applecare? If so I would take it in to Apple.

On the noise part, is this when the drive is reading the data from the CD? I have had at least 2 drives that did that in my iMac G5 but otherwise worked perfectly. So as long as the drive works otherwise, I would not worry about it, but with the eject issue, you might need a new optical drive anyway.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah thanks for your sensible and helpful reply, ive phoned apple before and theyve told me to book an appointment at my local store and take it in, its only 3 months old so no worries over the warranty. Will they try to fix it there and then or will i have to leave it with them? this is the 1st macbook ive owned so dont know how it works, i just wondered because your booking an appointment for a specific problem if they fixed it there n then if they could?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
yeah thanks for your sensible and helpful reply, ive phoned apple before and theyve told me to book an appointment at my local store and take it in, its only 3 months old so no worries over the warranty. Will they try to fix it there and then or will i have to leave it with them? this is the 1st macbook ive owned so dont know how it works, i just wondered because your booking an appointment for a specific problem if they fixed it there n then if they could?

I had a SuperDrive fail on a previous MBP. They replaced it in-store on the same day. Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up late in the afternoon.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
i didnt ask for a sarcastic reply... if you have nothing descent to reply with why bother?

Its not that I don't have anything decent to reply with, and Im sorry if I came off as sarcastic, but if there is an issue with the hardware on your macbook, then why would you hesitate to have it taken in?
if its on applecare still, then great. If not, you pay to get it fixed.
I don't know, just depends on whether or not you want to use a pry-bar to remove disks all of the time.
Personally, it seems obvious that there is a problem of some sort, and the mac geniuses are there to help you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.