Need Interface for PC Based Device

Reaction score
This will irritate everyone because I don't know what anything is called.

I'm a college prof. In my classroom, there is an overhead projector that will project DVDs. By the instructor's desk is an input plug with approx 15 pins. I don't know what they are called but my colleagues on PC are able to plug it right into their laptops and use their laptops as DVD players. This plug has a second wire that is an audio output jack (goes in the headphones port).

Is there an adaptor that will allow me to use my MacBook Pro 13" with my classroom AV system?

I hope I have come anywhere near making myself clear. Sorry for my computer dumbness.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
6string has it correct. You'll need to add a VGA cable along with the adapter he has linked to.

Just as an FYI:

There has never been a mini-VGA on a 13" MBP. Every 13" MBP produced to date has a mini displayport (mdp).

A mini-VGA, mini-DVI and mdp are three individual terms indicating one of three distinct ports and neither the terms nor the cables are inter-changeable.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, 6. That mdp-to-VGA adaptor looks like the one. Did I read that this adaptor runs audio _and_ video through it? In other words, you don't need a separate connection for the audio portion?

Thanks, bob. Why do I need a VGA cable?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, there is no audio pass thru via VGA. VGA is not capable of passing audio. Yes, you will need a separate audio cable.

Because that is only an adapter. The VGA cable is what will attach between the adapter and the port for the projector. If the projector has a VGA cable attached to it, then naturally, you would not require another.

And, both of us are making an "assumption" based on you being correct that the port for the projector is indeed VGA and looks like the VGA connection I have posted here.

OP
M
Reaction score
And, both of us are making an "assumption" based on you being correct that the port for the projector is indeed VGA and looks like the VGA connection I have posted here.

Yes, that's the tricky part, going by the picture in your link. I believe that what is in my classroom is a male version of that link. It had what looks like a separate audio jack that is bundled with it.

I'll have another look at things in my classroom today and then try to get down to the Apple store some time to look at what's on their shelves.

Thanks, again.

Reaction score
Re: Going into the Apple Store

I'll have another look at things in my classroom today and then try to get down to the Apple store some time to look at what's on their shelves.
If you have a cameraphone / digital camera, you could take a close-up picture of the 15-pin/audio-jack connection you're talking about & take it into the Apple store with you along with your MBP. I'm sure one of the helpers/geniuses could instantly identify the connection in question from the picture & immediately provide you with the appropriate adapter :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.