guitar set up for garage band

Reaction score
New to Mac and Garage band. Attempting to record an acoustic guitar w/o pickup and electric guitar. I have heard plugging directly into the Mac w/ adapter causes an unwanted natural sound. Most have suggested a mic for acoustic recording. Can anyone recommend an entry level microphone for recording an acoustic into garage band and also what I should purchase for my electric? I heard I will need an interface. I would like to use the Mac without plugging into any of my pedals or amp. Thanks for all help!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
the SM57 from Shure is perhaps the most widely used mic for guitar amp mic'ing.

SM57 Dynamic Instrument Microphone

you can pick it up for around £75 at any decent music shop.

you will need an interface to connect the mic to. however you could buy a USB microphone (no experience in them, i dont see the point really). this would save you getting an interface, but for really nice results i would use a dedicated interface with nice preamps.

you could also try a capacitor mic for the acoustic, these sound much nicer on acoustic instruments, but are generally more expensive (and require phantom power, which is supplied by an interface.) they have generally better low end and high end response, but they cant take high SPL levels as well as a dynamic, such as the SM57 can.

Im glad you arent trying to DI, it sounds horrible ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I use a Rode Podcaster which has a lovely warm sound to it and connects directly via USB. It also has a built-in audio out adapter with a built-in headphone output, which is great for recording as you don't run into any latency issues while recording.

OP
S
Reaction score
Podcaster

The podcaster looks pretty easy to use. Is there anything else I should purchase along w/ it for recording right away? Do I just plug this into a USB and start recording? Any help is appreciated. How would this work for an electric guitar. Im sure these are rooking questions, but want to make sure the podcaster works for both. It seems like I would not need an interface with this right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The podcaster looks pretty easy to use. Is there anything else I should purchase along w/ it for recording right away? Do I just plug this into a USB and start recording? Any help is appreciated. How would this work for an electric guitar. Im sure these are rooking questions, but want to make sure the podcaster works for both. It seems like I would not need an interface with this right?
Hmm, I've really only used it for an acoustic guitar (sample here: Review: Røde Podcaster USB Microphone « Jetplane Journal)

But yeah, basically just plug it in, make sure you select the right input in GarageBand preferences and away you go.

To record the electric you would face the microphone at the cabinet or amplifier and record the music from that. However that does mean you won't be able to record quietly...

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
A USB microphone is a like having a microphone with an interface inside it. They can be very useful.

kcl

Reaction score
Guitar with Pick-up

Hi

I used an USB hub and was able to create an aggregate device. I was able to get the signals of the mic but not the guitar sound into the garage band. I am using box guitar with a Pick-Up. I played around with the input source in garageband but in vain.

I was able to play into the mic and record the guitar but unable to record directly with the pick-up. Does garageband support the use of a guitar pick up? Or it supports only electric guitar?

Please advice.
thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.