Itunes keeps copying my files from my external hard drive?

Sas

Reaction score
Hi there, I think I'm in the correct place to ask this question, however tell me if I'm not! :)

Anyway the reason I'm here is because I have quite a small internal hard drive in my Mac Mini (50gb) so I purchased an external hard drive to store all of my media items on. However, after moving all of my music from my internal hard drive to the external hard drive, I tried to import all the music directly into iTunes and it then copied my entire music collection back onto the internal hard drive!

I know that iTunes has always seemed to do this and I can understand it's safer because it backs up data but I keep getting warnings about how little space I have left on my internal hard drive so I'd just like to know if there is a way to stop iTunes from copying all the music from my external hard drive and just have it stored directly in there so I can then play it in iTunes.

I know this can easily be done in Windows and seems like a simple enough thing for iTunes to enable. I hope you have understood what I have explained and I hope somebody can help!

Thanks a lot, Sas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.