iPad Newbie Questions

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting my first iPad and had a couple of questions:

- I own an iPhone 3GS and don't intend to pay for another internet service. Is there a way I can tether? If yes, do I need to get the one with the 3G - I'd rather buy the one with just the Wi-Fi.

- i don't intend to download loads of videos and games, so is 16 GB enough?

Sorry, I know this has been asked before but I did try to use the search button:)

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You can use an app called MiWi to tether your iPad to your iPhone no problem, as for storage space only you can really answer that one. How many apps do you think you will download on it? How much music and photos are you gonna put on it?
Really if you think that 16GB is plenty then get that one, but if you think you may be pushing it and you can comfortably afford the next size up then get that one instead.

HTH,
- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Buzzard2010. Just to make sure I understood correctly, I can do this without 3G?

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks Buzzard2010. Just to make sure I understood correctly, I can do this without 3G?

Cheers

Depending on where you live tethering plans are available (some places may require that you jail break). The Wifi version is all you need to do this, but I would suggest you strongly consider going to 32gb.
Once you have the iPad you are likely to find your usage higher than you now expect.

Reaction score
I went with 32 gig wifi only. I'm glad I got 32 gigs, because apps take up lots of space. And you need apps to get any function out of the ipad. You could always buy one of those portable wifi hotspots from verizon so I'd say stick with the wifi model.

Reaction score
But to use MiWi, you have to jailbreak your iPhone. Any other options for not jailbreaking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
I was going for the 32gb myself then I switched at the very last minute to 64gb

Don't regret it at all..but apps don't really take up much space..well in regards to video and pics..and songs

So the question is how much is in your iTunes and how much u want of it in your iPad at one time

OP
R
Reaction score
I was going for the 32gb myself then I switched at the very last minute to 64gb

Don't regret it at all..but apps don't really take up much space..well in regards to video and pics..and songs

So the question is how much is in your iTunes and how much u want of it in your iPad at one time

i put in my order 15 minutes ago:)

My 16gb iphone has 36 songs and 43 apps (excluding the ones that came with the phone) and still has 13gb free space.

i plan to use Netflix quite a bit. Is streaming space-consuming like downloading?

I plan to use storyboarding and film editing apps, so I hope I'll be ok with my 32gb.

Cheers,

Hopefu

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
i put in my order 15 minutes ago:)

My 16gb iphone has 36 songs and 43 apps (excluding the ones that came with the phone) and still has 13gb free space.

i plan to use Netflix quite a bit. Is streaming space-consuming like downloading?

I plan to use storyboarding and film editing apps, so I hope I'll be ok with my 32gb.

Cheers,

Hopefu
32gb should be just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
Lol yeah...36 songs and 43 apps

You will be just fine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.