• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MOV to WMV?

S

skitz92

I've got a problem. I have to get a movie done and people aren't able to view it as a Quicktime Movie. I need to convert it to wmv. I tried using Quicktime Pro to convert it to an AVI but it had bad quality even when it was on 'best'. Not to mention the huge size of it. Is there any way I can convert it to a WMV? All the software I've found has been for windows...Guess mac doesn't want anything to do with WMV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
skitz92 said:
Guess mac doesn't want anything to do with WMV.

Bingo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
And why can't the viewers just use the QuickTime Player (which is available to Windows users) to view the movie? Seems like it would be a much simpler, more effective solution than trying to re-encode something you have already done.

OP
S

skitz92

Well is there any alternative? The QT player for windows is out of date and doesn't have the codecs to play .MOV that are made on a mac. What CAN I do? Would saving it in Realplayer do it? Or am i stuck with AVI. If so can I do anything to make the default size of the AVI smaller so it doesn't look so pixelated. What other formats are good quality and work with WMP. DV Stream? I don't know much about video yet. Just that this video will be posted online and people have trouble viewing with quicktime. Sound is good but they are missing a video codec.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know that Sorenson video works on windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't seen any of the h.###'s used until H.264, which will be the true standard once the Windows Version is final.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That can go WMV -> mov but not the other way around I don't think

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.