Repairing Disk Permissions Freezes on MacBook

Reaction score
My girlfriend has a white MacBook circa 2007 that's been running extremely slow lately. I tried repairing disk permissions from the OS X CD, but the operation freezes before it can finish. It will say that there are only "2 seconds remaining" for hours, at which point I have to force shutdown.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Have you tried doing it from your OSX install DVD instead? Boot up from the dvd by holding down the "c" key just after the startup chime and head to Utilities > Disk Utility, you will also have the option available to Repair Disk.

HTH,
- Simon

OP
CMartucci
Reaction score
Have you tried doing it from your OSX install DVD instead? Boot up from the dvd by holding down the "c" key just after the startup chime and head to Utilities > Disk Utility, you will also have the option available to Repair Disk.

HTH,
- Simon
Sorry, I wasn't clear. That's what I'm doing, and it keeps freezing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How much free space is on the hard drive? Need about 15% for the drive to work anywhere near peak capacity. The fuller it becomes over this level the slower it will get. If all is okay there, run repair Permissions in Disk Utility under Utilities, and download Onyx and run that pretty regularly, once a month or so.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

OP
CMartucci
Reaction score
It says that there is 50 out of 70 GB available on the hard drive. That should be more than enough free space. I've run Onyx several times, Cocktail as well. Nothing seems to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
One inevitability could unfortunately be that the HDD is just giving up and failing on you. After all it is 4 years old now, before anyone says it though I know HDDs can last alot lot longer, heck i've got a 10gb HDD that still works no problem, but then you never know when anything is going to fail.

- Simon

OP
CMartucci
Reaction score
One inevitability could unfortunately be that the HDD is just giving up and failing on you. After all it is 4 years old now, before anyone says it though I know HDDs can last alot lot longer, heck i've got a 10gb HDD that still works no problem, but then you never know when anything is going to fail.

- Simon

I figured that might be the problem. It had a good run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.