zip files download

Reaction score
I am offering my psd files online for download via zipped folders. Some of my windows clients are opening the folders once unzipped and the psd files are not there. When multilple other users test it the .psd files are there.

I am using winzip mac to zip the files but was previously using stuffit

Thanks for your help!

OP
P
Reaction score
I posted this under images but I think it is more web related....

zip files download
I am offering my psd files online for download via zipped folders. Some of my windows clients are opening the folders once unzipped and the psd files are not there. When multilple other users test it the .psd files are there.

I am using winzip mac to zip the files but was previously using stuffit

Thanks for your help!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why not simply use the built in archive feature? Highlight the files you want to archive > right click > Compress X Items (X = number of items highlighted).

OP
P
Reaction score
I tried that first - before the winzip and stuffit with the same result. Would you recommend not putting them in a folder and zipping the folder?
thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
I know that scrappers and designers sell psd files all the time this way. My customers all download from other sites with no problems.

C

chas_m

There's no reason whatsoever to use any third-party program to zip files. Just put the images in a folder, right-click the folder and choose "compress."

As for the people who claim the files aren't there, I hate to say this but my money is on user error on their end. If that were true, NONE of other users would see the files either.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

As for the people who claim the files aren't there, I hate to say this but my money is on user error on their end. If that were true, NONE of other users would see the files either.

ditto

(Rather than crossposting, the proper way would be to PM one of the mods or use the report a post function and ask for the thread to be moved.)

OP
P
Reaction score
sorry for the repost

I just found the problem on a scrap site and they said most of the problems are solved if you use stuffit to compress the files and tell the client to get 7-zip to open them.

Thanks for your help -

C

chas_m

Half of that advice is incorrect. Stuffit is absolutely not necessary. The problem, as it turned out, was exactly as Bob and I said: user error on the other end (they did not have a program to unzip files).

OP
P
Reaction score
The thing that has me worried is that all of the people having problems regularly download and unzip files from other sites so they naturally (and I too) assume that I am doing something different than the other sites. At least two of the clients have Winzip. It is only my files that have PSD files in them that are having the problem. The files with jpegs and pngs are fine. File size has no bearing since some of the Jpeg files are very large.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.