Mac wont recognize external hard drive anymore

Reaction score
I accidently unplugged my lacie 1 tb hd without ejecting it. now it wont read the hard drive or show it in the disk utility. When i plug it in the computer is very slow and it never shows up anywhere. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I accidently unplugged my lacie 1 tb hd without ejecting it. now it wont read the hard drive or show it in the disk utility. When i plug it in the computer is very slow and it never shows up anywhere. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated

If this is a bus-powered drive, and you were involved in a read/write operation to the drive, then it's possible you damaged it. Another open possibility is that, if you have it formatted using FAT32, then you may have "simply" corrupted the directory when you unplugged it. This is recoverable with the right software. DiskWarrior is held in high regard and should be up to the task. TechTool Pro probably can as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.