Major Lacie Problem - Need Input!!!!!

W

wormina

Alright - So last night I was shutting my computer down for the evening...it was late, and I was tired. So I put the computer to sleep, and after the screen went to black, I figured that the Lacie had shut itself down -

So I turned it off...only for the Mac to wake up and inform me that the Lacie had not been removed properly..."The Device may be Damaged or Destroyed" Alert...(I know, I felt like an idiot...)

So I turn the Lacie back on...and nothing...it doesn't make a sound, and the Mac doesn't discover it...

I shut the computer down, turn the lacie off, and then turn it back on, and then boot up the mac (it's an iMac G5 by the way), and once again...nothing, the Lacie is lifeless.

Is my Lacie dead!?!?!? What can I do to fix this....???

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
After everything is powered on. Run the disk utility application. If it see it you can mount your LaCie disk from there.

OP
W

wormina

rman said:
After everything is powered on. Run the disk utility application. If it see it you can mount your LaCie disk from there.

I will give that a try @ noon...I hope that it works...I have so much data on that Lacie...to lose it would be, disastrous.

I have never heard of a Lacie being destroyed just from one improper removal...it's the first time it has ever happened.

OP
W

wormina

Ok...ran the disk utility...and it's not even picking up my eternal drive....

WHAT IS THE DEAL???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Do you have another computer to try the drive with?
I would suggest, turning everything off again, and then disconnecting all the cables.
Wait at least a minute, then turn everything back on. Once everything is back on, then re-connect the cables and see if the drive will mount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Try to reset the pram (parameter random access memory) sometimes with disks not mounting in my experience this has fixed it...
Each computer is different in resetting pram for other people who are reading this, but most of the new macs are the same... command+option+P+R (where command is the key with the apple on it)

OP
W

wormina

ok...i tried disconnecting everything...turning the computer off...unplugging the computer...waiting 5 mins...then turning it all back on...and still nothing.

the lacie itself is not showing any signs of life...instead of making noise and the little light going from yellow to orange, it just sits there silent and yellow...

opinions??????? this is killing me!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What type of LaCie drive is it? The LaCie drives designed by Porsche are known to have technical issues and you may just have a bad drive. Otherwise if it's still under warranty I'd contact LaCie.

Based on what you're describing it's the drive and not your computer.

OP
W

wormina

oh that's just great. yes...it is one of the lacie's that is designed by porshe...i've had it for around 6 months and not one problem..........

until now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.