Vapourware Apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Is there any way to identify those Apps which will pretend to download onto the iPad and then stop halfway through with a stupid message about the App being available when you login to the App Store on your computer?

What is the point of having both 3G and WiFi on my iPad if I have to connect to my Mac to install an App?

At least it was a free App, so no loss really - unlike the SolarSystem for iPad, which still wants to download onto my Mac, despite refusing to install to the iPad even from the Mac. I suggest people avoid that one - otherwise you end up with a huge download to the Mac every time it gets updated, all of which is useless.

Second question - is there any way to tell the App Store you don't want an App any longer, so it doesn't keep updating an App which you no longer have installed? :(

Odd thing is I think the SolarSystem for iPad is from the same people as the Elements App which came out at the same time as the iPad itself - an amazing App. Of course, then I had a new and empty iPad, so there was room for the App to install :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Second question - is there any way to tell the App Store you don't want an App any longer, so it doesn't keep updating . . .

Go into iTunes and click in the left panel on APPs and delete the APPs you no longer want. The next time you synch your iPhone or iPad it will ask if you want to transfer if you haven't deleted them off your IOS device. If you tell it no the APP will delete and no more updates to bother with.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Is there any way to identify those Apps which will pretend to download onto the iPad and then stop halfway through with a stupid message about the App being available when you login to the App Store on your computer?

You may actually still find that you can get the app wirelessly. Make sure you don't have every app you own running in the background - then do a simple power off/on of the iPad - then tap the icon that froze in mid download. It actually may start back up. I've had that happen to me a few times - and have never connected to the PC to get my app. Have been able to get them all wirelessly.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
The applications don't freeze. They download partly, then a message pops up to say the app couldn't be bothered to download properly, but it will be waiting on my Mac next time I sync. Then the icon partially downloaded disappears.

Next time I sync in iTunes I have to wait for the application to download again from the start.

Then all I have to do is connect my iPad to the Mac, wait hours for the iPad to backup (which it seems you can't turn off), hope the iPad is not ruined by updating the version of iOS again and that the apps are not arbitrarily rearranged on syncing - then hope the app installs successfully. At least one of these (Solar System for iPad) still failed to install to the iPad after all this.

I have WiFi, I paid extra for the 3G version of the iPad. Why is it necessary now to go through all this hassle to install applications - just as if I had bought some rubbishy Windows device on which applications have to be installed from the equally rubbishy Windows PC via USB?

In particular, Elements for iPad installed fine - so why does Solar System for iPad not do so as they are from the same publisher?

FYI, Kings and Queens by David Starkey is the latest one that doesn't install.

There is room on the device for the size of this application, though of course not the 32GB I had when I installed the Elements application (one of the first applications I bought).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.