Poll: Do you like having Windows on your Mac?

Reaction score
Do you like having Windows on your mac? What version of Windows do you have? What are the pro's and con's?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Do you like having Windows on your mac? What version of Windows do you have? What are the pro's and con's?

Don't have windows, need windows or intend to run windows. Have flirted with the idea of dual booting with a Ubuntu Distro as I am currently running Ubuntu on an old Laptop (rescued from windows). :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Use Fusion and run Windows 7. Think it's fine for those times I need Windows.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have flirted with the idea of dual booting with a Ubuntu Distro as I am currently running Ubuntu on an old Laptop (rescued from windows). :)
What about simply virtualizing it? You don't get the 3D effects but those are really just eye-candy anyway. Although, Unity uses 3D effects...

Reaction score
Bootcamp & Windows 7 64bit - works great, never had any problems. Only have it for gaming as gaming sucks in VM and for some reason they still aren't releasing big titles for both PC and Mac - yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
Windows 7 HP 64-bit. Got it for gaming and gaming only. Cons? Windows is like the bubble boy, you don't dare let it outside for fear of catching a virus. So for EVERYTHING else it's OS X all the way for me.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
What about simply virtualizing it? You don't get the 3D effects but those are really just eye-candy anyway. Although, Unity uses 3D effects...

Good idea! I may dig out my Ubuntu DvD later and try it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have for now a small install of Vista Ultimate on my C2d iMac. I use it for testing the Windows version of web browsers for comparison with the OSX Version, and installing apps to test out for friends. I could do it in a VM but find especially when I am after testing browsers for speed that things are more accurate using Windows in Bootcamp. Otherwise, I have little use for Windows on my Mac. It's all for testing for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Good to see you Dennis!

I've got VMWare Fusion installed on my iMac with WinXP SP3. Runs good and allows me to play some Windows only games I like. Thought about bootcamp but I like the whole drag and drop between systems that Fusion gives me.

Reaction score
Given the cross-platform applications and near-universal web, I currently have no version of Windows installed on a Mac. I had previously used VPC5 on an iBook G3 to run Win2K Pro, which I mostly used with Office. It worked fine but I don't have it installed right now since my iBook only has a 6GB drive and I'm in the midst of a massive project on that computer.

Part of me wants to get Windows 7 running on my Santa Rosa MacBook, but I'd probably only do it out of necessity (that is, if I needed Windows-specific applications for work, development, etc). I find I don't really miss having the option of running Windows around unless I get some tough Office file which won't open with Office for Mac or another program, and even then, I find many more files with fancy formatting are coming to me in PDF format these days (I send most of mine that way too). I do know it would be a better option than purchasing a Windows laptop, however--I already own the hardware and would simply need the software end of the solution. (Budget PC laptops aren't worth it due to the amounts of shovelware installed).

To give a "like" or "dislike" vote, I'm going to say I like the idea, but would only use it out of necessity (i.e. if I was required to use a Windows-specific application).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
XP through Boot Camp. Wish there was a Mac version of the app I need to use. The other one I use in Windows is an expensive (IMO) architecture design app that I've had for a few years and don't have the money to get the Mac version. *sigh*
I don't like using Windows at all. Full disclosure: I have not used Win 7 yet, but have heard good things about it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't think it's a question of liking Windows on my Mac but more of if I need it on my Mac.

Lately I've just been using Crossover to run most of my Windows apps. I'll leave it at that. I like to keep my computing needs separate if possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I don't run Windows on my Mac. I have no use for it.

- Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro, 2.3 Ghz i7, 500GB 7200 RPM, 8GB ram, Radeon 6750 1GB, OS X 10.6.6
Windows 7 HP 64-bit. Got it for gaming and gaming only. Cons? Windows is like the bubble boy, you don't dare let it outside for fear of catching a virus. So for EVERYTHING else it's OS X all the way for me.

HAHA the bubble boy! you nailed it! Whenever I wanted to download a map manually (via website) for CS: Source or DOD: Source, I hold my breath. Stupid windows.

Reaction score
Stupid windows.
Yes. Of course. It's Windows that's stupid...

I have Avira anti-virus, set to only kick-in when my browser's transferring a downloaded file from the "temp" folder to its target, scanning it on the fly, so it doesn't slow my system down when I don't need it (I don't need AV for general browsing - between Windows Firewall & the anti-malware built into Google Chrome nothing can get through via a plug-in on a page).

If I can avoid viruses while running Windows, and without taking a 20% performance knock, anyone can...

(Please note; this post is not anti-Mac, just anti-Windows-bashers trolling-out the same tired, ten-years-out-of-date propaganda.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.