Mac temperature monitor and fan control

Reaction score
Anyone use any of the above for the mac or recommend any offhand? My mac gets fairly hot when gaming, incredibly hot when gaming in windows, so thought I might start monitoring the temperature and possibly try my hand at varying the fan speed. A google search pulled up the following two options:

SMC fan control:
Download smcFanControl for Mac - Control Intel Mac fans to make them run cooler. MacUpdate.com

and

Temperature monitor for Mac
Download Temperature Monitor for Mac - Displays processor temperature. MacUpdate.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I do use smcfancontrol, i like it, but I will recommend this, don't play around with changing the fan speeds yourself, leave it as it is and just use smc for a temperature monitor.

- Simon

Reaction score
I do use smcfancontrol, i like it, but I will recommend this, don't play around with changing the fan speeds yourself, leave it as it is and just use smc for a temperature monitor.

- Simon

I agree that you shouldn't play around with the settings unless you know what you're doing. However, I've set my fan speed to 2500rpm without any problems. Although I'm not sure if it's worth the extra power expenditure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Well keeping the minimum at around 2500rpm shouldn't be a problem and not too much of a power drain either. It's when people put them around the 4000 and above that is what worries me.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
OS X does a great job of regulating temperature, there's not really a need for fan control apps and you risk messing up your system if you set it wrong.

Just trust OS X, it'll do the right thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Anyone use any of the above for the mac or recommend any offhand? My mac gets fairly hot when gaming, incredibly hot when gaming in windows, so thought I might start monitoring the temperature and possibly try my hand at varying the fan speed. A google search pulled up the following two options:

SMC fan control:
Download smcFanControl for Mac - Control Intel Mac fans to make them run cooler. MacUpdate.com

and

Temperature monitor for Mac
Download Temperature Monitor for Mac - Displays processor temperature. MacUpdate.com

I use both, although I have additionally installed Temperature Monitor Light so I have a tool bar icon with CPU temps instead of an open App.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.