Netflix streaming problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FS: 2010 15" i5 2.4GHz 8GB RAM Hi-Res Anti-Glare 256GB SSD
I recently installed an AppleTV 2 and initially the Netflix streaming was fine (I used to use my Xbox 360). However, lately I've been having a lot of trouble with it. It won't buffer fast enough so the video is constantly stopping. I've double-triple-checked my internet connection. My speed tests are all coming back with the expected results. I have 35Mbps FiOS so I know my connection is fast enough. If I watch it on my 360 or my Mac/PC then it works fine. Are there any known issues with Netflix on the AppleTV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Reboot the ATV2 and reset the modem and router. Do it from the wall out, tho. Pull the plug on the modem, then router then ATV2. Wait a min or two, then plug in the modem, wait 30 secs, then plug in the router, waiting 30 secs, then turn on the ATV2. You may want to reenter the info for the router. I have had to reboot my ATV2 a couple times.

Good luck.

OP
gimpster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sadly, I've actually done that and it didn't improve. I've reported the problems to Netflix using their automated system. I don't know if it's worth trying to open a more official support ticket with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Do you have a non-wifi N device accessing the router in any way? Well, if you are on an N router? Only certain high-end dual-band N routers will play nice with speeds less than N. Again, just wondering.

OP
gimpster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My router is a WNDR3700 running DD-WRT running v24-sp2 (from 2/17/11). The ironic thing is that at the same time my Netflix is stuttering, I can go to my MBP (also connected to the same router on the same frequency) and test my speed, I get the full 35Mbps that I expect.

EDIT: and to answer your question, yes, I have other non-WiFi devices on the router (a NAS and a Mac Mini).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My router is a WNDR3700 running DD-WRT running v24-sp2 (from 2/17/11). The ironic thing is that at the same time my Netflix is stuttering, I can go to my MBP (also connected to the same router on the same frequency) and test my speed, I get the full 35Mbps that I expect.

EDIT: and to answer your question, yes, I have other non-WiFi devices on the router (a NAS and a Mac Mini).

Try connecting the device you're streaming Netflix to directly to the modem and see if you can eliminate the router as a potential problem.

Does DD-WRT support QoS? It's possible that it could be throttling you back depending on how aggressive the QoS settings are.

OP
gimpster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had Frontier come out to my house to address some other issues. They replaced my ONT and in the process, I talked to the tech about the Netflix issue. To his credit, he went out of his way to check on the issue when he got back to the office and it turns out that the issue looks like it was caused by my IP address. They've been buying up old blocks of IP addresses and mine happens to be registered back east in Rochester, NY and because Netflix does a reverse-lookup of your IP address to find your location and connect you to their nearest servers, this was causing the lag I was seeing (at least that's the theory). They're updating the registration, so hopefully in a day or two things will be back to normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.